• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: Do you feel the ELO ladder is the true blitz ladder and better ranks player skills?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Strongly Agree
18.92%
7 18.92%
Agree
43.24%
16 43.24%
Neither Agree nor Disagree
27.03%
10 27.03%
Disagree
5.41%
2 5.41%
Strongly Disagree
5.41%
2 5.41%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Is the ELO ranking a better gauge of player abilities?
07-19-2007, 04:26 AM,
RE: ��Is the ELO ranking a better gauge of player abilities?
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2007, 05:06 AM,
RE: Is the ELO ranking a better gauge of player abilities?
First let me say I'm sorry to anybody that make take offense. I think it's mice eye candy and give the the ladder a nice facelift lift. But it's actual
importance is somewhere around Dog droppings in determening a players skill. But i think that it would be next to impossible to keep a high ELO if the enemies you face more often then not are the likes of.Zemke,Col. talvela,Red devil,Phil,Herr leto,blackjack ETC and the like. If these are the type of players you play then write of a high ELO as well as having a win % over 600. I play anybody that's willing to play me, if i want to gage my opponennet i compare our logs against similar opponenets and parameter of those battles.

Walkurecheers
07-19-2007, 05:27 AM,
RE:��Is the ELO ranking a better gauge of player abilities?
Walkure Wrote:I think it's mice eye candy

Mice eye candy? Is that like Minnie Mouse.

Speaking of which. Should I be embarrased that I had a crush on Minnie Mouse when I was a kid?
07-19-2007, 05:36 AM,
Dude, i'm typingthis between my patients. One gloved bloody hand and one no glove hand. MIce , nice a rose by any other name. How ablout a game.

Juan:whis:
07-19-2007, 06:21 AM,
I need some dental work done.
07-19-2007, 07:03 AM,
Walkure Wrote:One gloved bloody hand and one no glove hand.

Juan:whis:

OK, any guesses on who Walkure wants to be, Michael Jackson or OJ Simpson? :whis:
07-19-2007, 12:58 PM,
LOL.............should have seen that one coming !!!!!Eek

Walkure
07-20-2007, 03:05 AM,
Walkure Wrote:First let me say I'm sorry to anybody that make take offense.

You can say anything you want when you are wearing one bloody glove.

: )

Walkure Wrote:i think that it would be next to impossible to keep a high ELO if the enemies you face more often then not are the likes of.Zemke,Col. talvela,Red devil,Phil,Herr leto,blackjack ETC and the like. If these are the type of players you play then write of a high ELO as well as having a win % over 600.

Walkurecheers

Actually, a quick scan of the top 20 players in ELO reveals that all fit your parameters of having a .600 win % or better (YOU INCLUDED!).

Gauging the skills of individual players through who their opponents are in the database does offer you another pretty good stick to measure by as well.

For instance, if you look at all my opponents, you will notice a trend of Total Victories that can most likely be attributed to players who started a game and didn't finish, thereby forfeiting for the total. Therefore, you may glean from this that my stats are overstuffed and I am actually not that good, and you would be dead on the money.

Like all ladder variations, ELO can be stuffed, just like any of them.

Cheers!

Leto

07-20-2007, 06:46 AM,
The problem is with the question and how it is posed. It should really be two questions:

1. Do you feel the ELO ladder is the true blitz ladder?
and
2. Do you feel the ELO ladder better ranks player skills?"

Personally, I feel that the traditional Blitz ladders are fairly good indicators of who the active players are. This is an important feature of the Blitz, distinct from who the most skilled players are. Remember that the mission of the Blitz is to promote playing.

Having said that, the ELO certainly seems to be a better indicator of comparative skills.
07-20-2007, 12:25 PM,
That's exatly what i'm saying if we take the stuffing out and man do i also have padding. our ELO would be much lower.

Also there is a tipping point as for number of games played. the more times you expose yourself to enemy fire the more chance that you'll get hit. So High ELO when less then certain amount at bats doesn't reflect accurately. But what number is needed to get a better feel is anybodies guess. i lean to over 100 at bats, that's just a SWAG.

Walkure:conf: