• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: Do you feel the ELO ladder is the true blitz ladder and better ranks player skills?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Strongly Agree
18.92%
7 18.92%
Agree
43.24%
16 43.24%
Neither Agree nor Disagree
27.03%
10 27.03%
Disagree
5.41%
2 5.41%
Strongly Disagree
5.41%
2 5.41%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Is the ELO ranking a better gauge of player abilities?
07-18-2007, 12:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-18-2007, 12:48 PM by Herr Klopek.)
RE: Is the ELO ranking a better gauge of player abilities?
In golf you have a handicap system, but works only if you enter all your scores everytime you play. For example, my older brother's handicap is better than mine, but I kick his ass every time he comes home for a visit. Why, he cherry picks his scores and does not enter bad games. I enter all my scores no matter what I got good or bad. So what's in a number? Sometimes not much. It is all in how well the user records their results.

On a side note, to have a valid handicap you should have at least 20 rounds entered. I would think the same is true for ELO. I'm a NOOBIE (or to be politically correct - less experienced) player who has only logged on 12 or so games. I would think that one should have between 25-50 games logged in to get a realistic ELO.

Anyway, I voted "agree". I would have voted strongly agree if the balance issue could be realistically solved.

NOOBIE'S 2 cents

Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2007, 02:18 PM,
My ELO rating (and my opponents !) means nowt to me when I play someone, I play for fun only. (Look @ my rating, it aint the best but I am still in the top ten 10 players).
07-18-2007, 04:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-18-2007, 04:37 PM by kineas.)
Strongly agree. Provided one does not play for ELO only and plays all kind of matches, not just meetings.

Every game is most joyful when you are playing on your skill level, that's only why I consider ELO important. So you should seek an 50% of win ratio :)
/McIvan should achieve this by getting drunk before the games - fun galore ;)/

But ELO needs about 20 games to converge, and trust is also an important factor when it comes to select opponents. It seems to me that dropouts occur too often in the pbem-business.

07-18-2007, 09:31 PM,
RE:��Is the ELO ranking a better gauge of player abilities?
Antoni Chmielowski (FGM) Wrote:My ELO rating (and my opponents !) means nowt to me when I play someone, I play for fun only. (Look @ my rating, it aint the best but I am still in the top ten 10 players).

I think Antoni you have summed up in one go, I never look at ELO rating if some one would like a game thats O/K just get on with it and enjoy, looking at ratings for me spoils the game...So you take on some one who is up the top so what, you could learn a few thinks...I am playing a lot of Top players and I get a thrashing or two....But when you turn the table on them That is just great..

So lads be serious but do enjoy the game.

Cheers Ted
07-18-2007, 11:31 PM,
hedgehog(FGM) Wrote:I think Antoni you have summed up in one go, I never look at ELO rating if some one would like a game thats O/K just get on with it and enjoy, looking at ratings for me spoils the game...So you take on some one who is up the top so what, you could learn a few thinks...I am playing a lot of Top players and I get a thrashing or two....But when you turn the table on them That is just great..

So lads be serious but do enjoy the game.

Cheers Ted

Well said.....the only way to go.

cheers
07-19-2007, 03:09 AM,
Also, surely if everyone adhered to the theory that it's only worthwhile challenging players with an ELO of the same or higher than you then very few people are going to a) get games, and b) progress.

You would be reluctant to challenge someone equal to you because, (as I understand it), the score advance wouldn't be much if you won; and you would be very reluctant to accept a challenge from anyone lower than you because if you did lose, you ELO rating would suffer more.

Seems to be just play the game for fun. OK it's nice to see your score, (whatever one you are looking at), advance, but don't get hung up over it.
07-19-2007, 03:30 AM,
Then there are "players", that win a minor victory against an opponent that "delete" their win from the stats because their ELO went down because their victory was not big enough.....is that an honest way to report games?....Leto?...;)
07-19-2007, 03:46 AM,
An ELO should always increase after a win.

You 'should' pick up opponents near your ELO range.

Professional chess players can't cherrypick their opponents so the system works better for them.

CM is not balanced that much, so you don't have to afraid that a 100 point lower player will be a too easy opponent.

Yes, you should always seek fun but if you got beaten 10 times in a row maybe it's time to seek smarter.
07-19-2007, 03:51 AM,
DevilThomas Wrote:Then there are "players", that win a minor victory against an opponent that "delete" their win from the stats because their ELO went down because their victory was not big enough.....is that an honest way to report games?....Leto?...;)

Which one is that? I vaguely remember messing around with things to figure out how ELO was being scored, but honestly can't remember what game!! Please report it immediately if I have not yet done so!

A win is a win is a win...

: )

Cheers!

Leto
07-19-2007, 04:11 AM,
kineas Wrote:Yes, you should always seek fun but if you got beaten 10 times in a row maybe it's time to seek smarter.

True, but alternatively, learn to play better. If it's the same player beating you ask them what you're doing wrong, or what they're doing so different to you.

The post match analysis usually yields some interesting insights anyway, but if you're struggling ask. After all this is only a game, and most of the people are here to have fun. Whilst it is most gratifying to see your enemy firmly ground into the dust, that joy does diminish if you repeating trash the same opponent, (OK, I am only assuming the last bit seeing as I've never been in that position).