• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Puzzle
07-14-2007, 03:17 AM,
Puzzle
Playing WITP grand campaign with 2day turn cycle. I am Allied and get an 001 replay file and the current turn file. During replay my fighters down about a squadron of Japanese bombers, and some of my ships take an incredible pounding with multiple torpedo hits etc.

When I review the game file thereafter, my ships have almost no damage and I didn't down a single plane of the type in the replay.

I can understand FOW giving you faulty intel on enemy units damaged but not on your own?

Is it a game bug?

cheers
Jacques
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2007, 04:21 AM,
RE: Puzzle
07-17-2007, 11:42 PM,
Basson,

You may have gotten hit by the "out of sync" bug. It can affect the accuracy of the Allied replay quite significantly. Attacks can appear to have drastically different results than actually happened. Supposedly, there are a few things that can lead to an out of synch turn, like straffing PT boats, and possibly hitting escape in the middle of a replay. There used to be more causes, but the various patches have reduced the number of out of synch turns quite a bit.

There are a couple of ways to check this. Hog of War is correct that both sides are supposed to see the same replay. So if something looks out of whack, you can:

1. Ask your opponent what he saw on his replay; or

2. You can also ask to see his combatresults.txt file, which is just a running text file of the combat results in the replay (it does not reveal anything you couldn't have seen in the replay). From what I understand, the Japanese player's combatresults.txt file is always correct, since the Japanese player "runs" the turn.

If the Allied player's replays get out of synch, there is a method to re-synch them. It should be available on the Matrix WitP forum. If you can't find it, I can probably track it down. Btw, what version of WitP are you playing?

Mike
07-18-2007, 02:58 AM,
Hi Mike

Im running version 1.806, the last patch available. Not sure if my opponent has updated yet. What you explained makes sense. Would checking my own combat reports help or will they be based on the same faulty Allied replay?

Thanks for the advice all

Jacques
07-18-2007, 03:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-18-2007, 04:03 AM by Lowlander.)
I'm playing the CHS 157 campaign mod by Andrew Brown, after a few turns of PBEM we started to have some sync problems.These were resolved after we checked both install's in detail and found this was caused by different map mods although both should have been compatiable.
My understanding is the Japanese players replay is always the correct one !!!.
Both players MUST have the game patched to the same version, with the same files and map installed.

I'm a John Tiller fan with all the old Talonsoft games and almost 40 HPS titles but WitP has really got me hooked, highly recommended.

Almost forgot, when playing PBEM, and upgrading, always follow this procedure.
The Japanese player watches replay, saves, exits the game, then sends the 001 replay file to his Allied opponent, then installs new patch before starting the order phase and sends second file after ending his turn.
Likewise the Allied player watches replay, saves and exits the game then installs new patch, before starting game to perform his order phase.

More details can be found at the Matrix site but failure to follow this sequence could end the game.
07-18-2007, 08:27 AM,
As far as I know, the Allied combat reports will mirror the results of the out-of-synch replay, so they are not a reliable test of whether you are in synch or not. You need to see the Japanese players combat reports.

Looking at his combat reports file won't violate the fog-of-war or anything, as the replays are supposed to be the same for both players and the combat reports are generated during the replay, not the turn.

This is a link to a recent Matrix forum thread about the synch bug. The thread contains a link to another thread with a procedure some have used to "fix" the bug.

Synch Bug Thread