• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Mod question
07-01-2007, 01:42 PM,
Mod question

is there a way to mod this game to decrease each hex to 20 meters.

also, where can i find mods for games.
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2007, 06:54 AM,
RE: Mod question
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
07-02-2007, 01:57 PM,
I am not sure why you would want to do such a thing, but it could probably be done using the new editors that came out with some of the patches and with SAW. The size of a hex controls range and movement rates, although you might want to change the time scale also. On a second install of the game, if you wanted a hex size of 20 meters, you would need to double the range of each weapon except some like satchel charges that would need to stay at one hex. You can use the data editor to double the range of every load. You can also use the same editor to modify the speed of any vehicles you want to include. You would use the pdt editor to change the infantry movement allowance and possibly the change in elevation per contour. It probably wouldn't take all that long to do, but I am not sure just what you would gain.

As for other mods, the best place I know of is at Task Force Echo Four. The URL is:

http://www.wargamer.com/Hosted/squadbattles/id108.htm

There are numerous mods here including the Africa at War game that uses Pacific War as a base. There's lots to take a look at including several articles on tactics.

Jeff
07-03-2007, 11:50 AM,
thank you for all the responses.

My main reason for wanting 20 meter hexs is to increase the movement points of the infantry.

this way it would be alot easier to flank because each unit has more movement points.

example: instead of moving 2 hexes a unit have enough points to move 4 hexes.

another reason would be to have a large village or city. instead of having a village be 1 hex, i would like to make it so the village is 3 or 4 hexes long.

what do you folks think?

Don't get me wrong, i love the game. I was thinking if my ideas could work, how this would change current player tactics.

07-03-2007, 11:53 AM,
I love the task force echo site. I have alot of reading to do.
07-03-2007, 11:54 PM,
Solomon:

The easiest way to make infantry move faster would be to increase the infantry movement rate in the pdt file. It is currently set at 24, but you could use the pdt editor to change it to 32 or some other number of your choice.

The best way to flank a position is to do so out of sight on the enemy. It's not going to make that much difference what the movement allowance is if you get fired up in the open.

Currently, there is not a map editor available for the game. You are confined to the maps that ship with the game. However, there are several maps that have cities or larger villages on them. This shouldn't be too much of a problem if you are trying to create a scenario.

Jeff Conner
07-04-2007, 11:06 AM,
I see your point.

I have never been in a real battle. so, my reference point is from playing othe r war games or watching documentries and movies.

I just think a unit fighting in a city or town hex should be able move without sustaining alot losses. 40 meters in a city gives a squad alot room for movement with good cover.

Again, this is my experience from playing other war games in 3d. I dont want to come sounding like I hate the game or how the system is setup. I am sure JT and other programmers discussed all of this.

I just think a unit should get demoralized if they are pinned in a city hex moving back. If my squad is pinned, I would order them to fall back to another position.

I really love this game. I thought It would be nice to test out the game with tweaked values for movement and fire range.

again everyones ideas are great appreciated. I am just a newbie trying to learn.

have a good 4th.
05-24-2008, 01:44 PM,
how do i edit the pdt file to increase the movement values.
05-26-2008, 05:19 AM,
I finally got it.