• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Changing CS Discs
06-30-2007, 07:12 AM,
Changing CS Discs
I (and many of us no doubt) have 10 CS discs and am sick of changing them. WF Battle Pack is particularly annoying. Jason (on the Matrix disc) and some other clever people on this board have found a way to access the wonderful CS discs from the Hard Drive without loading various discs. How can we do that and do we have to buy anything ?
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2007, 07:52 AM,
RE: Changing CS Discs
From what I understand, the Matrix edition does not require CDs. In fact, if you do the digital download, you don't even have CDs to insert if you wanted to. Eek

If you plan to stay with the "classic" Talonsoft editions, you can try getting a virtual CD program. You basically make a virtual copy of the CD and the software mimics a CD-Rom drive. You still have to "insert" the virtual CDs between games, but it is lot easier than inserting a real CD. There is commercial virtual CD software out there (e.g. Gamedrive by Farstone), and shareware VCD programs. I use GameDrive.

Changing to the virtual CD arrangement also can require reinstalling the games from the virtual CDs because the Talonsoft versions don't just look for the CDs, they look for the CD in the drive it was installed from. So if your real CD-drive is D:, and the virtual is E:, the original install won't work. There are some workarounds with reassigning drive letters if you are comfortable with that, and there are probably some other workarounds as well.
06-30-2007, 09:23 AM,
RE:��Changing CS Discs
06-30-2007, 10:27 AM,
DL it and you don't ever have to see a disc.
Send this user an email
06-30-2007, 02:40 PM,
I was able to create one CD containing all three games. Basically I deleted all the sound, scenario and bit files. So far it works except fro the Sealion scenarios and the annoying music at the main menus is also gone. Big Grin
06-30-2007, 04:13 PM,
what the others said - buy the new version, with all the fixes that Matrix are doing at the moment I think most ppl will move to the new ver if they are serious about the game anyway.
06-30-2007, 11:49 PM,
The old games don't play well on my system. Was great on the old computer though.
Send this user an email
07-02-2007, 04:33 AM,
Matt-ie Digger has a prog to solve those disk change issues.For EF and WF only.
07-02-2007, 11:54 AM,
John is correct,

I made a No-CD version for WF 1.05 and EF II 1.02, I can send this to you if you like, It contains modified executables for the above two games, which bypass the CD checking, plus a registry file and instructions on how to install.

I used to be pretty cagey about distributing it, but now the matrix version has come along and you don't need the CD's to play it. There is nothing more frustrating that being forced to use the CD's

I would recommend, buying the Matrix version It is a sound investment.

Matt