• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Idiots Guide making Leto Grumble, Bemoan & Otherwise Lament Everything CM ***
06-23-2007, 03:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2007, 06:58 AM by Steel God.)
The Idiots Guide making Leto Grumble, Bemoan & Otherwise Lament Everything CM ***
I had to choose a hyper-confident title for this DAR, because the truth is I think I have a very slim chance of winning. But I cant let Leto know that.

Here is a pic of the left and center
[Image: Letosetupleft.jpg]

Here is a pic of the right and center
[Image: Letosetupright.jpg]

Details of my force and strategy to follow. Right now I just dont have it in me.
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2007, 06:43 PM,
RE: The Idiots Guide making Leto Grumble, Bemoan & Otherwise Lament Everything CM
Don't burn yourself out mate.....DARs are time consuming.
06-24-2007, 05:25 AM,
RE: The Idiots Guide making Leto Grumble, Bemoan & Otherwise Lament Everything CM
Turn 4 action/5 Order

I ran my sharphooter forward to get a early glimpse.

The bad news is that Leto did actually select more than an infantry platoon - bummer. the good news is ... dont have any good news yet.

[Image: LetoTurn4action.jpg]

Order Turn 5:
I was hoping to keep my sharpshoopter hidden in those scattered trees, but he has too many units coming at me.

Took a bit of debating what to do with this sharpshooter, but I ended up do a withdrawel along the yellow line. The reason being that would give me the most amount of time to figure out what to do next.

The other option I considered were moving along the purple lines or just hiding and hoping for the best.
06-24-2007, 01:30 PM,
I just love the thread title. Makes mine look downright clumsy in comparison. The trend towards talking smack in DAR thread titles must be encouraged...

Clickies all around!
06-25-2007, 01:44 PM,
06-25-2007, 03:13 PM,
I suspect that all Leto got was a sound contact. Nice story to tell his grandkids :)
06-25-2007, 03:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-25-2007, 03:29 PM by Der Kuenstler.)
06-25-2007, 03:36 PM,
It's annoying isn't it :) I remember playing a CS mirror game a couple of years back, and my opponent delayed sending back his attacking turns until we were a couple of turns ahead on the one where I was attacking. I didn't get wise to it until he started doing exactly what I was doing on the attack (when it worked of course).

Just console yourself that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :)
06-26-2007, 12:22 AM,
RE:��The Idiots Guide making Leto Grumble, Bemoan & Otherwise Lament Everything CM
06-26-2007, 01:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-06-2007, 03:38 PM by Colonel Talvela.)
Anyway... back the the topic of the thread.

Here are my force selections

1 Co Vet Airborne SMG squads (2 platoons, 9 men each squad)
1 Co Vet Guard Rifles (3 Platoons - 4 squads each platoon)
1 Co Green SMG/LMG Squads (3 Platoons - 7smg 1 lmg - 20 ammo)
2 conscript 107 mm spotters (40 ammo) and 4 trps
1 reg T34/85
1 Crack SU85
2 Vet 76mm guns
2 Reg 45mm guns
1 Crack sniper
1 Crack tank hunter
2 reg 82mm mortars
25 barbed wire pieces
1 trench
1 anti-inf mine

My plan was to use the green smg as a screen and then use the vet rifles to actually stand up to the germans and shoot out with them. Then I would have the conscript art and the vet smg to counter-attack in the critical areas.

Well it was a good plan until I saw the map. We chose a large map, and I just was not prepared for how much space I would have to cover. And I really do not have enough units to properly cover all the approaches. Couple that with the fact that my center area is just a giant mess of scattered trees with no open ground to put up a resistance has me very worried about my ability to affectively stop Leto. I really needed another green smg squad for this size map, and I think that will prove to be my downfall. (I have 1 green smg platoon and the elite tank hunter guarding my right side).

Even worse, I got a terrible draw on HQ units and the +/- quality. My crack SU-100 dropped to a vet. Only 1 squad went up in quality while 3 dropped down. My crack tank hunter went to elite, which would be a good thing except for the fact that he only got molotovs (I tested the tank hunters before i purchased and 75% get the effective AT weapon).

Added after battle was over
My theory behind my selection was this:
1) I wanted to base my defense on Vet Guards Units that could engage his troops at range and stand up to counter-fire. That actually worked good.
2)I wanted a place to be able to find a place - deep in my defense - to stand my ground and then counter-attack. My goal when defending is not just to stop him, but to route them off them map. So i got the 2 platoon company of Vet SMG unit and two 107mm spotters with 4 TRPs.
3)I wanted one T34-85 for a mobile defense
4)I wanted one Su-100 to take out - or at the very least pose a threat to - heavy German tanks
5)Fill in the rest with Green SMGs/a couple mortars/some guns/barbed wire.

And I think my defense would have worked on a smaller map, but this map was just too big. When I saw it I knew that I just didnt have enough troops to cover the map. I spent a long time trying to think of some way to defend it better, but had to settle for the defense I mustered. And before we started I knew that if he went down either map edge, I would have no way to stop him. And that is what he did.