• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THE AI??
06-26-2007, 10:29 AM,
RE:��HOW WOULD YOU RATE THE AI??
Skrantsky Wrote:I play against the AI alot and have developed a simple house rule that greatly balances play against the computer.....I keep a cup nearby with ten chits in it....seven green and three red. At the beginning of my turn I randomly draw a chit from the cup. If I draw a green chit I take my turn normally. But if I draw a red chit I must SKIP my turn (no fire, no move, no nothing). The AI, of course, always takes its turn. So, in other words, I always get a defensive fire phase but the probability that I will get to move, conduct offensive fire, and assault is 7 in 10. It can be quite brutal and forces me to play MUCH more conservatively. I find this to be a much better aid to the AI than the percentage slider.

That's an interesting idea. Thanks for bringing it up. cheers
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2007, 01:43 AM,
RE: HOW WOULD YOU RATE THE AI??
It's my pleasure....I've been experimenting with different AI balance methods for years, and this is the most streamlined and effective "house rule" I've been able to come up with. I use it in alot of different games. Even though human to human play in wonderful clubs such as these offer the utmost fun, I would bet that the vast majority of gamers love the fact that they always have a computer opponent willing to play (24/7). I think turn based game developers would sell more games if they would spend a little more time with AI development.
06-27-2007, 09:45 PM,
Unfortunately there is no real good way to play the AI in a large campaign. Cry It seems to work best in smaller scenarios.

GMT makes a game called Roads to Leningrad. It uses a very interesting activation sequence based on drawing chits. Allowing the AI a double move is a great idea, except in games that are time sensitive (like Minsk) where the attacker needs to press on at all costs, so halving the number of attack turns will cause you lose; and if you do win it means that the AI really does not function well. Which games do you play like this?

The best way to play 24/7 is to increase your number of PBEM opponents.

Marquo
06-28-2007, 04:54 AM,
Marquo Wrote:Unfortunately there is no real good way to play the AI in a large campaign. Cry It seems to work best in smaller scenarios.

GMT makes a game called Roads to Leningrad. It uses a very interesting activation sequence based on drawing chits. Allowing the AI a double move is a great idea, except in games that are time sensitive (like Minsk) where the attacker needs to press on at all costs, so halving the number of attack turns will cause you lose; and if you do win it means that the AI really does not function well. Which games do you play like this?

The best way to play 24/7 is to increase your number of PBEM opponents.

Marquo

You can win in Minsk just from solely destroying the enemy units, you don't have to take Minsk, that's just a bonus. The clues in the name, the campaign is called "Destruction of Army Group Centre" not "Capture Minsk" :).

And if you can't obtain a major victory as the Russians against the AI by turn 40 ,even missing half you moves, you are probably soing something very wrong. It is not recommended to play Minsk vs the AI as the Russians, it's just not up to it. You would probably get more mileage from playing the Germans
06-28-2007, 12:10 PM,
"You can win in Minsk just from solely destroying the enemy units, you don't have to take Minsk, that's just a bonus. The clues in the name, the campaign is called "Destruction of Army Group Centre" not "Capture Minsk" ."

Agreed; but this is true against a human opponent. The bar should be much higher and loftier against the numbnut AI.

Marquo :cool2:
06-29-2007, 01:04 AM,
In response to Marquo's question as to what games do I play with my chit method : All my Talonsoft Napoleonic and Civil War titles (I found it does not work well with Campaign Series), all my HPS Napoleonic and Civil War games. I realize it can be quite a burden in a time sensitive situation. I've had situations where I've drawn three red chits in a row...OUCH!.........As I stated earlier, it forces me to play MUCH more conservatively and offers an incredible amount of variety....every game is different. If I can win in spite of "red chit blunders" I feel good about it. If I lose, well, I know the next game will be different and I'll have another crack at it.
06-29-2007, 01:33 AM,
to continue.....I've recently fallen in love with these Campaign Series games. I'm currently playing the gigantic "no halt" campaign scenario in France '40. I'm playing as the Allies. I was worried that the AI would not give my troops a real "blitz" ; however, the chits took care of that early on. I've drawn a red chit in both turn two and turn three (OUCH). I'm currently working on turn my turn four and I've got quite a mess brewing...the Dutch and the Belgians are already scrambling.....It's just fun............
06-29-2007, 02:39 AM,
Skrantsky Wrote:I've recently fallen in love with these Campaign Series games.
Just to be clear, these are the "Panzer Campaigns" series of games. The "Campaign Series" refers to Talonsoft's East Front/West Front/Rising Sun triad of tactical games.

(I know is can be confusing due to the similarity...)
06-29-2007, 06:33 AM,
Yes....I did mean to say I've fallen for the Panzer Campaign series of games.......they're very good.