• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tactical Defensive Retreat
06-13-2007, 11:03 AM,
Tactical Defensive Retreat

Hello,

I was wondering how to implement Tacatical defensive reteats. Its sometimes frustrating to move one hex at a time.

also, how can you flank if your movement is limit to one hex at a time w/ ground enabled.

thanks
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2007, 03:07 PM,
RE: Tactical Defensive Retreat
Sometimes you just got to get up and run, either forwards or backwards.

Jeff
06-14-2007, 08:12 AM,
I have to agree with Jeff. If you are needing to make a quick flanking move you cannot do it while "hugging the ground". Sometimes you just gotta jump up and move.

And just for the record (I have learned this through hard experience)....it does not always go as planned/wanted. You run a fairly even chance of getting disrupted, pinned, losing a leader (if you have one standing up with the unit)....or....being successful with the move.

As always, a squad/platoon/company leader has to weigh the benefits vs the possible losses in any decision he makes. I always check each hex of the projected route and see exactly where/what it is visible to. This game has so many subtle nuances (which is one of the reasons I like Squad Battles). Much more "personal", especially in the smaller battles.
06-15-2007, 11:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2007, 11:36 AM by general_solomon.)
I can understand it would be suicide to send your men in open ground to get and run.

What would be my chances in the following terrian next to an enemy hex:

1. high grass
2. village
3. city
4. rubble
5. woods
6. forest

I have played alot of close combat so its driving me nuts when I cant flank.

I know it can be done in SB. This is a thinking mans game. any advice for a newbie would be helpful.

does the game take into account when a squad is flanked.
06-15-2007, 09:23 PM,
Dont defend a position that has open fields behind (if you have choice). Such a position can be a good defensive terrain but it would be a killing field if you need to withdraw to a new position.

Another good tactic is deploying support weapons like tank, infantry gun, machinegun to positions and angles that can deliver covering fire for retreating troops.

But as Jeff said, many times you just have to run for cover. Although disadvantaged, demoralized units can run much faster. It would be wise to demoralize pinned units if you have quality leaders that can rally them in the new position.
06-16-2007, 02:05 AM,
what about movement in cities.