• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Coil whups CT, a memoir in advance (Colonels Keep Out!)
07-01-2007, 03:49 PM,
RE:��Coil whups CT, a memoir in advance (Colonels Keep Out!)
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2007, 03:50 PM,
RE: Coil whups CT, a memoir in advance (Colonels Keep Out!)
One more thought: My Priests were basically a null-factor in this game. Partly because I was scared to expose them to AT fire - but that was only partly it. The other part was that I kept thinking - until the very end - that I didnt really need them. I kept thinking, ok I am breaking through, but then I wouldnt. Around turn 32 or so I realized, "I am not going to break him", but then it was too late to get them into position really.
07-01-2007, 04:09 PM,
07-02-2007, 01:53 PM,
RE: Coil whups CT, a memoir in advance (Colonels Keep Out!)
My last bit of post-game analysis:

If we played this game 10 times, I think CT would've beat me 8 of 'em, and I'd have been happy to sneak a draw the other two (and that estimate is, if anything, pretty charitable to me). By about turn 28 I thought it was pretty much hopeless. Several reasons it was as close as it was:

1) Wasn't wild about the map, but I think, given a mostly small arms fight, it actually worked in my favor. The relatively sparse cover on my end led to a lot of the shooting in the main assault being at relatively long ranges. It takes a lot of small arms fire to pin units in foxholes and rough at those ranges - CT often had to use a bunch of units to pin one of mine. Because I had so many units, there was usually someone free to put some fire on the assaulting units when they had to cross the frequent and large patches of open ground. If the Preists had made it into the fray, that might have changed. But then I might've splorked them with my guns. But then my guns would've got mortared. But then CT wouldn't have had as many mortars available to break my main line...and so on.

2) I was playing someone I thought was considerably better than me (and still think, btw). CT was playing someone he expected to be a bit worse. Like I said elsewhere, fear is a great motivator - I think I brought my A game, while CT was playing around a bit. Not, I think, in a 'not taking this seriously' kind of way, but experimenting a bit with tactics and such, as I think everyone sort of does when playing someone below their level. Probably worked in my favor - if we both brought our A games, not sure I'd be standing at the end.

Anyway, an interesting and tense game...I feel lucky to have pulled the draw. Two more turns, and I'd have been wiped off the map.
07-02-2007, 04:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-02-2007, 04:56 PM by Der Kuenstler.)