• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Coil whups CT, a memoir in advance (Colonels Keep Out!)
06-14-2007, 04:17 AM,
RE:��Coil whups CT, a memoir in advance (Colonels Keep Out!)
kineas Wrote:Were you allowed to buy trenches?

I was, I did not. Needed almost all my points for the battalion buy. Could've picked up a few.
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2007, 07:05 AM,
RE: Coil whups CT, a memoir in advance (Colonels Keep Out!)
Even if you aren't defending that far forward, the opponent doesn't know it....and tends to deploy into "advance" mode rather than move mode anyway as he edges forward trying to see where your main line of resistance it. It can take a concious effort of will as the attacker to accept casualties on contact as the price for not slowing down.
06-14-2007, 07:50 AM,
RE:��Coil whups CT, a memoir in advance (Colonels Keep Out!)
06-17-2007, 11:38 AM,
And they're off...

LMGs sprinting forward to good positions to intercept incoming snipers or scouts, also positioned to try to detect direction of the main thrust.

Everyone else comfortably squatting in their foxholes...nothing like playing defense. Pretty much just whack the 'go' button for the first 10 turns.
06-17-2007, 10:13 PM,
The Coil Wrote:Everyone else comfortably squatting in their foxholes...nothing like playing defense. Pretty much just whack the 'go' button for the first 10 turns.

an idle defense is a conquered defense... :) always have something going on
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
06-17-2007, 10:30 PM,
RE:�� Coil whups CT, a memoir in advance (Colonels Keep Out!)
06-18-2007, 04:07 AM,
I think you're sort of both right...

No sense in running your men around just for kicks...they're where they are at because I thought it was the best place to put 'em.

However, once I get a sense of where CT is coming from, time to adjust as it makes sense.

For the moment, LMG scouts out roaming the area in the middle of the map, and an HMG trying to weasel up to a forward position to harass.

Light contact on turn 2, in the middle and on my right, sends the HMG skittering for cover, and one of the LMGs hits the deck and crawls. Probably half squad scouts, so far as I can tell. I'm sure CT is gloating over in his thread, but no real harm done. LMGs hit cover to observe and harass. I'm hoping CT is looking for quick contact at this point, and eats up some time going to 'advance' and 'contact' orders. 'Nother nice thing about the LMGs roaming - if he is using 'contact' orders, they'll stop when they spot my men...
06-18-2007, 10:18 AM,
I would never order my men around just to do something, they always have a purpose / goal when they move.

IMO, in a defense you should always be moving towards the enemy, finding his main forces, getting your reserves in between the enemy attack points so you can shift them either way quickly. Sending men out the flanks, find the empty field, so you can use the men from guarding that sector, in other places. Waiting until the front lines are under fire is not a good time to be reinforcing it, then it's too late....

Like my current defense battle with Coil, I moved an entire platoon out past my set up lines to engage him in an area that his become a point of attack. For a little cost of a Zooka and Sniper, I've found what I'm looking for with lots of time being chewed up while he digs them out & prepares to come over the hill into Hidden Gun valley, I've been able to ID the threat on my flank as nothing the front line defense can't handle and shifted my entire reservist group over to meet his main forces and prepare avenues of death.. I'd bet money he's only see 1 of my Tanks so far and nothing else moving :)

Do not sit, and wait for them to come, go out and meet the enemy on his ground, where he feels he is safe and is not prepared to fight. It takes time to get into position under fire and time is on your side as the defender. You must learn to use it as your weapon, & not allow your OPP to use it as his.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
06-18-2007, 02:10 PM,
06-18-2007, 09:22 PM,
I like to unhide one MG per turn in similar circumstances - keeps the attacker hugging the weeds and assuming he's not a fan of the W-Nacht triangulation proceedure or too close all he gets is sound contacts