• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Air Power - Stock vs. VM-alt
06-11-2007, 01:09 PM,
Air Power - Stock vs. VM-alt
Has this already been discussed? I've been testing the VM France 40 alt scenario. The most significant change is the Luftwaffe effectness. My initial impression of France 40 is that the Luftwaffe was over-rated. Now, I wonder if in the alts it is underrated.

It looks like there are three factors that have significant effect that can be debated endlessly:
-- Hard strength
-- Soft strength
-- Sortie rate

I noticed that this came up in the Kursk discussion. Are there any more thoughts?
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2007, 02:04 PM,
RE: Air Power - Stock vs. VM-alt
Send this user an email
06-11-2007, 03:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-11-2007, 03:27 PM by Volcano Man.)
Send this user an email
06-11-2007, 04:25 PM,
RE:��Air Power - Stock vs. VM-alt
Send this user an email
06-11-2007, 04:48 PM,
Right, no problem. I should have addressed my post properly sine I was responding to rmonical. I personally think that the stock F40 values are as good as they can get given the optional rules that are necissary, but given that the F40_Alt turns off the alternative airstrike resolution optional rule then this can be a big drop in airstrike effectiveness when compared to the stock version.
Send this user an email
06-13-2007, 03:08 AM,
Rmonical, actually, I have been looking into adjusting the sortie rate for the German air untis in F40. It is something I think is justified given the change from the alternative air strike resolution rule and the need for a lot of air units.
Send this user an email
06-15-2007, 02:52 PM,
As Glenn points out, it is way more difficult to model than ground units. I need to do a lot more play testing to have a strong opinion and my playing time just went down the tubes. Hopefully, I can report back with an opinion in a few months. If you have not figured it out, I am more into the historical simulation side of the business than the warGAME side.
06-15-2007, 02:54 PM,
<i> If you think that the airstrikes are not as effective in the _Alt scenarios then I recommend that you turn on the Alternative Airstrike Resolution optional rule and you will see greater effect.</i>

In the first few days of F40, not so much because there are rarely more than one allied unit in a hex (at least when I am playing myself).