• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

On Budapest '45
06-06-2007, 07:07 AM,
On Budapest '45
Here are my impressions of the fine game, Budapest '45. Keep in mind I am in the, more or less, early stages of two campaign games as the German and have no experience as the Soviet.

*The number of divisions is quite managable.

*Because of the limited numer of mobile divisions, and the extended length of the campaign game, the German must play with 400 turns in mind--he must not burn out his units.

*There are several possile axis of advance toward Budapest.

*The German has great potential mobility--he can hit, withdraw, and strike elsewhere.

*The Budapest garrison is a tough nut to crack.

*Keep saying to yourself, "this is 1945, this is 1945" because the German infantry units are quite understrength. Also, your panzers are tough, But can be descimated by the perfidious Russian arty.

With that said, this is a fun, fun, fun, game, especially the first time!

Well-done HPS
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2007, 07:23 AM,
RE: On Budapest '45
I completely agree ;)
06-06-2007, 04:18 PM,
06-09-2007, 06:37 AM,
Continuing this thread: I totally agree with Hadge. I have 2 B 45 campaigns going on, and right now, as the German, I feel like CPT Stransky in "Cross of Iron" when he shouted into the field telephone "I am attacking! I am defending! I am counter-attacking!"

Brutal street battles---dramatic breakthroughs--desperate defense operations--open, mobile tank battles.....again, well-done HPS!
06-09-2007, 06:57 AM,
RE:��On Budapest '45

I wouldn't get my hopes up for a Berlin game. This isn't a rag, but the system was never really designed to portray urban combat and it fighting I've done in Budapest has been what I consider ahitorical.

The Berlin game would have the actual taking of Berlin as a side show compared to the fighting before and around Berlin.

Still a great game though.
06-09-2007, 07:44 AM,
Hiroo:

Yeah, the real "Berlin '45" game would be the battle for the Oder. To be honest, hard to see a real competitive game from the battle for Berlin. East Prussia 45 would be an interesting late-war game. I think that Budapest demonstrates that there is a lot of life left in the PzC series.
06-09-2007, 11:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-13-2007, 06:10 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
RE: ��On Budapest '45
Send this user an email
06-10-2007, 04:18 AM,
Glenn,

There would be a scenario I would hope where the 6th SS Pz Armee didn't shoot its wad down in Budapest I hope!

Of course the great three player game would be one where the US also drives on Berlin!
06-10-2007, 06:05 AM,
There was a 2 player board game where one person commanded the Western allies and the German East Front forces vs the Russian Armies and the German West Front forces.That would make for some balance,I think.

Kuriltai