• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

"On-map" or "off" ?
06-02-2007, 04:06 PM,
"On-map" or "off" ?
I have always tried to take a mortar FO if possible in my QB forces, but as of late have been taking the equivalent number of on-map mortars instead with good results. Buying individual mortar teams of same calibre as FO's does have some limitations in the way of smoke shells, LOS issues for multiple firings, and slow movements about the map, but they also have some advantages as well. The delay till the first shell drops is a fraction of the time it takes to call in an FO arty strike, accuracy with vet. teams uses less ammo, and if you do lose a team you still have some others to continue the shelling.
I was wondering what others feel on the subject, and do you feel the same about field guns vs FO's of same calibre as you do mortar teams vs same calibre FO's?
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2007, 07:24 PM,
RE: "On-map" or "off" ?
Personally, I think that on-map mortars teams are probably the most valuable units in the game - other than inf squads of course. And, for me, it is hard to get comparable results with off-map artillery/mortars.

Off-map will have a bigger area of affect certainly. But there is usually a certain spot on the map that I need precision fire to, and off-map is much better for that.
06-02-2007, 10:41 PM,
RE: "On-map" or "off" ?
I prefer on board mortars of 76mm or larger myself just for those reasons ratzki mentions. Quick to drop, more accurate and mobile. Even when defending, they can use the TRPs just as well as Off boards.

I'm also a BIG fan of mortar carriers, keep them near a COY commander and they come with a lot of ammo and smoke rounds :) and they move quicker!

The little mortars are an asset as well if used properly to cover an attack or suppress a MG making advances difficult
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard