• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

LZ Xray Story
06-01-2007, 10:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2007, 10:12 AM by Riley D. Smith.)
LZ Xray Story
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2007, 11:20 PM,
RE: LZ Xray Story
It's a great story, and the website is top notch as well, especially the AARs on the battle. The story about Lt. Rick Rescorla who graced the cover of one of versions of the book, bayonet fixed, is an interesting one as well (he is on the front of the website in that famous pose). He was killed in one of the Twin Towers on 9/11 as he was organizing the evacuation of the building.

"We Were Young..." was the book that tipped me from being a casual military history buff into a serious one. I was home visiting my folks and shopping for a birthday gift. The movie was already out, and I was in a bookstore and picked up a copy of the book. From then on my obsession with the Vietnam war was full blown and I read as much on the conflict as I could. Being born in '69, I don't remember the war, but do have family members who spent time in SE Asia.

The movie was great, save the fictionalized scene at the end. I wish they'd have gone into a bit of the LZ Albany battle, which really tainted the 'victory' at X-Ray and should have been a harbinger that the war wasn't going to be a series of stunning victories. It was quite a sobering read.

Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
06-01-2007, 11:59 PM,
I also found it to be a very sad twist of fate that a man like Rick Rescorla had died at the hands of terrorists after surviving such a horrific fight (and war) as those.

Not surprising that he went out putting his life on the line saving others though. That speaks volumes to the character of the American fighting man (or woman). And yes, I am quite biased. Ha.
06-02-2007, 06:07 AM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: LZ Xray Story
06-02-2007, 06:33 AM,
Another interesting fact, which I'd forgotten about, was that Riscorla was actually English and became a US citizen in '68. Fighting in Vietnam for a country that wasn't his home country. His bio is quite interesting. Sounds like a guy who just wanted to be where the action was.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
06-03-2007, 01:19 AM,
Very interesting indeed. I imagine that if we examined the personal stories of the men involved in that fight there would be numerous examples of the same sort of mentality and actions.