• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The great software rip off!!!!!!!!!
05-28-2007, 04:12 AM,
The great software rip off!!!!!!!!!
Finally talked to a rep from both Gateway and Dell about getting XP instead of Vista.

They both want an additional $50 for XP?????

This reminds me of buying saltless crackers and paying more for them than the ones with salt???

I can just imagine buying a hamburger patty on a bun and being charged an extra dollar because I didn't want onions, tomato, lettuce, cheese or a dubious secret sauce :hissy:

How does one go about getting these peoples attention short of :boom1:

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2007, 04:40 AM,
RE: The great software rip off!!!!!!!!!
Along similar lines, my assistant at work just bought a new computer from Best Buy, and of course it's loaded with a desktop full of special offers, 90 day free trials, etc. She was told for an extra $30.00 Best Buy can remove all the garbage and sell her a clean computer. Nice strategy huh?
05-28-2007, 10:41 AM,
Ask them how much it is for an OS free system. They have to sell you one without any OS at a discounted price. Then you can use your old Xp cd to install the OS from and register it just as a new one, All the MS law says is that you have to remove it from your old system :)

Another ploy is to agree to pay the 50$ for XP but state you want the Vista software included, but not installed, so you can upgrade in the future at no additional costs.
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
05-28-2007, 02:54 PM,
While this is causing some pain this story is funny at the same time. To add to the stories, DELL just announced that you can get their computers with the 'free' Linux Operating system software, called umbato I believe, and it costs more than the Windows version.... ROFLOL!!!!!

05-28-2007, 10:46 PM,
It's terrible that MS is manipulating the sales of new PCs this way.
I'd be surprised if MS doesn't try to say they'll discontinue support for XP by the end of the year, trying to force the vista era
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
05-29-2007, 01:14 AM,
I'm going to try the XP installed/Vista included ploy, Red Devil. I'm going to pay extra for three years of software and hardware support/guarantees and don't think they will buy into that if I purchase the computer with no OS.

I talked to a Gateway rep last night and he was offering me $100 off if I made the purchase right then! Obviously they have some leeway when it comes to priceing.

Pat

05-29-2007, 01:53 AM,
the phone reps are the best choice in making a deal happen. IMO they have a lot of leeway.
05-29-2007, 04:04 AM,
Thunder Wrote:While this is causing some pain this story is funny at the same time. To add to the stories, DELL just announced that you can get their computers with the 'free' Linux Operating system software, called umbato I believe, and it costs more than the Windows version.... ROFLOL!!!!!
Huh?What kind of scam is this to charge for something that you can freely download?:conf: Btw,this Linux flavor is called Ubuntu (it means ''Humanity to others'),and can be download from here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu

Send this user an email
06-28-2007, 09:44 PM,
Hey All

I worked for Compaq for 5 years, the deal on the OS is this or was

We the Company agree to MS deampds they charged us $5.00 usd per copy of the OS.

Even that could be forced down farther, so that XP they are offering will cost them more than Vista.

There is a decent company Cyberpower Inc, I think its ben a while, that builds systems and has many OS options, also when I lost a video card and my SLI ability, the computer was almost 3 years old, I had a 4 year warranty.

The issue was the Nvidia 7900 that I had a pair of were no longer made, So at no extra cost I got 2 brand news Nvidia 7950s which really was a much better card.

You may wish to chat with them.
Lee
06-30-2007, 01:23 AM,
I ordered the Gateway NX860XL notebook.

The smoke has cleared and I'm pretty happy with the results.

The rep gave me $150 off the computer plus free shipping.

He knocked $50 off for XP instead of Vista, so I don't know where the first guy I talked to was coming from?

He threw in a basic 2007 MS Office package and when I told him I'd like a carrying case but was about maxed out money-wise, he knocked $25 off that.

They must have had the computer I supposidly built in stock because it shipped in two days.

Pat (MontanaGrizz)