• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Heart's of Iron 2
05-21-2007, 05:14 AM,
Heart's of Iron 2
Anybody played this one have it on my PC think its not to bad a game,bit complicated but think it might be well worth the effort to play.
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2007, 07:26 AM,
RE: Heart's of Iron 2
I have played hearts of iron 1, i find its a fair challenge with diplomacy and rescource/technology management, the battles are a bit limited, not sure if n.o 2 is an improvement?
05-21-2007, 10:04 AM,
05-21-2007, 11:14 PM,
RE:��Heart's of Iron 2
05-21-2007, 11:26 PM,
I have it and have played it a fair bit, good fun as you can play virtually any nation (including all the minors) and you can tweak your nation's development to go ahistorical if you wish, to some degree anyway.

The game is on a grand strategical level meaning that divisions are the unit size and there is quite a bit on the diplomatic and resource side of things, with convoy managment, where applicable, an element etc. The game also has reasonable air and naval elements, though again it is war painted with broad brushstrokes. The game is time-consuming, but you can save it and return to it. As Britain I did see the German panzers roll over France and my spitfire squadrons did have a mini, and very much abstracted, Battle of Britain, and the British RN did defeat the Kreigsmarine. Convoys were harrased by u-boats and then Germany takes on the mighty Soviet Union in Barbarossa leaving Britain and the allies time to rebuild etc, etc. As you can see the game plays out like a grand strategy of WWII. As Germany I followed historical force doctrines of u-boats and blitzkrieg/combinde arms ended up invading USA after pummelling Europe. The AI has its limits once you are familiar with the game, though you can tweak the balance. I have not tried online multi-player as I do not have time for it, but I think that is when the game comes into its own.

Hope this helps, if you want any more info I'd be glad to help.

Cheers

Alasdair
05-22-2007, 07:00 AM,
The best fun is taking a nation like France or Italy and trying to take over the world. France gives a great challenge in trying to resist the German assault. Japan is also a great game.
05-24-2007, 06:45 AM,
Thanks all looks like a good game ie more on what you do in the thinking mode and not the battle one.No probs i like a challenge although the brain cell's must be getting weary now at my age-sigh.
05-24-2007, 08:20 AM,
I tried Hearts of Iron1 and really enjoyed playing Italy in the early years then got a bit fed up when the major nations started bossing the game.
It was like watching the PC play itself with the human player only being able to influence the result in a small way.
Playing a major nation just looked like too much work.

I also enjoyed EUII but ran away with the game as the Brits on my first attempt. Thought about playing again as a smaller nation but thought I would end up with the same problem I had above.

Chris

05-25-2007, 07:39 AM,
Think my only prob with the game and i do like thinking games is the fact your doing nothing for long periods of time while things happen.