• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

project McNamara Databse??
05-18-2007, 01:13 AM,
project McNamara Databse??
I would appreciate it if someone could take the time to explain to me what this is. I have searched the forum somewhat but I can't find the history of this.

Thanks in advance!

Aditia
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2007, 02:16 AM,
RE: project McNamara Databse??
This DB is part of Volcano Man's Alt scenario's project, the best person to explain it would be Ed himself, he can be contacted at [email protected] hope that helps. :)
05-18-2007, 02:30 AM,
RE:��project McNamara Databse??
Foul. Wrote:This DB is part of Volcano Man's Alt scenario's project, the best person to explain it would be Ed himself, he can be contacted at [email protected] hope that helps. :)

Well, McNamara is a real smart guy who worked on another game series on a different scale and published by a different company. I've talked to BobMac by phone myself and he is a really REALLY Smart guy who knows an awful lot about WWII weapons and such.

The Database you ask about is a conversion for common Panzer Values to those used by MacNamara in his game. Is it better or more correct? Well you be the judge as it is another opinion and POV on something which is difficult to peg down exactly.

FWIW, I worked as a playtester on the game when McNamara developed these values and Iknow there was plenty of controvesary over what those values were, also by smart people who knew what they were talking about. I recall huge debates over the effective of Arty on Tanks for instance.

In the end it is impossible to say which set of values are better or worse - they merely represent different opinions. I confess to using *some* of those values myself in AFVs in Budapest, our last game and someone posted here that those values were ridiculous - so go figure:)

Glenn
Send this user an email
05-18-2007, 02:34 AM,
Thanx for the info

Does using this involve having to make back-ups of your original files? Or does a scenario that uses this just refer to a different file (which I then guess comes with the scenario....)
05-18-2007, 02:56 AM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:I confess to using *some* of those values myself in AFVs in Budapest, our last game and someone posted here that those values were ridiculous - so go figure:)

I don't think it is ridiculous, I like it, but the values are not consistent. Hungarian StuGs have the VM alt values but German StuGs the stock values. King Tigers of the SS have VM alt values, German ones do not.

//Engelbrekt
05-18-2007, 05:09 AM,
Thats easy to fix in the OOB editor and must be a oversight as the game treats every nation as if they were seperate entities and the SS and Regular unist are for game purposes seperate nations .

I like the new values

M
05-18-2007, 06:04 AM,
RE:��project McNamara Databse??
Aditia Wrote:Thanx for the info

Does using this involve having to make back-ups of your original files? Or does a scenario that uses this just refer to a different file (which I then guess comes with the scenario....)

Volcano has made a "Alt" version of all of the stock scenarios in most of the titles so you do not have to back up any files. :)

If you want to download his scenarios then they are at Glenn's site, also Volcano's scenarios on the H2H approved list use the same DB. ;)
05-18-2007, 06:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2007, 08:43 AM by Volcano Man.)
Well, I would love to answer what McNamara based db is but I would be biased. ;) But I guess I could try.

There is no such thing as a "right" or "wrong" database and there is certainly nothing wrong with the stock values. In a nut shell, the "McNamara db" is not quite simply plugging in values directly from McNamara's values and it involves a lot of calculating and effort (I simplified this to be "McNamara db" from the start though, so that people knew where the base values were originating from). What the project really is is taking an established db that has stood the test of time and then Huib and I coming up with formulas to convert those numbers into PzC compatible form. There were several reasons to base a standard and uniform PzC ALT db on McNamara's db:

1) PzC stock values usually very depending on who actually designed the OOB. Being a slave to uniformity of the highest order, I prefer standardized values so you know that when you click on a Hummel, what its abilities are.

2) McNamara's CS db has been widely regarded as one of the most extensive and most well thought out database in existence because of its thoroughness and detail.

3) McNamara's CS db is the most extensive and widley ranged database you can find which allows for greater accuracy when you view the units as a spectrum of values. What I mean is, you can certainly use Koger's db from TOAW:CW, but being that the values are usually < 20 then the range between units would be vast. That is not to say that Koger's db is not one of the best either, as I am using some of it for a possible MC_Alt.

As I mentioned, any database and unit rating is always an abstraction and who is to say which one is right or wrong. They answer is they are all right and at the same time they are all wrong. The real issue is the feel of the game and what feels realistic to *you*. For that, it is up to the users themselves to decide. Hopefully many will reply on their likes and dislikes of it to help you out. As for me, if I didn't like the values I wouldn't be wasting my time making the _Alt scenarios. ;)
Send this user an email