• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Best Use/Practices for: Marders and SP Guns
05-11-2007, 07:09 PM,
Best Use/Practices for: Marders and SP Guns
At times as German player one is stuck with having to use Marders and SP guns like the SiG33's, Hummels etc.

Any suggestions of how to use them most effectively in 1)Defense and especially in 2)Offense?
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2007, 09:16 PM,
RE: Best Use/Practices for: Marders and SP Guns
Marders are simply mobile ATGs, nothing more. They are suited to ambush and sneak that long range shot across the field, rather than go toe to toe with ANY type of allied equipment that has a gun. They are better than a towed ATG in terms of setup however, and don't get picked off when moving up under light fire.
Marders live longer set up behind something to prevent a lot of visibility on themselves, with a covered arc to prevent early firing on targets they can't kill frontally, it is best to keep them hidden for as long as possible on the defense.
Trying for flank shots is their BEST options against the heavy armored Soviet & some British tanks, they can pretty much kill anything else.

Trying to take out the light tanks and recons is a weakness due to the higher rate of fire these targets can return, and your thin armor. A little protection band of MGs and snipers is optimum to keep the enemy buttoned up, hopefully long enough for them NOT to spot you right away and you get a few more shots in to kill the target.

The real secret to success with Marders is RELOCATE, RELOCATE RELOCATE! once you shoot (and hopefully kill) MOVE somewhere else that you can hide behind and set up again.
Staying in one place is your Doom.. enemy artillery & mortars will kill you if they know you are in the area. The Enemy will also try to flank you and draw multiple angles of fire at you if you remain where he knows you are.

Do not use Marders any where close to INF, they are VERY susceptible to any fire from the rear and sides. Try to stand off but their low HE loads make them worthless in any sustained INF fighting.

The SP guns are in the same boat as Marders on the defense, but they have less ability to ambush and take on enemy armor. Their optics are not made for long range sniping or engaging moving targets as much. They are best used to cover an area where you expect the enemy to try and attack FROM or will BE so you can lob shells into his INF ranks and cause horrible destruction. Again, you must be alert to MOVE around and refrain from planting roots anywhere, as you are weak against artillery and mortars.

On the Offense, you can use both of these units as mobile ATGs and INF guns. Trying to engage in any sustained fighting however is NOT recommended due to the light ammo loads. Get them in to the fight where they will make a difference quickly and RELOCATE while your INF takes and holds the Objectives.
Neither unit shoots well on the move, so parking to shoot is a good idea but don't forget to MOVE after you take a few shots or notice artillery is starting to fall near.

Getting close to ANY thing with a gun is a death sentence for these units, they MUST be protected with a screen of INf (or MGs & Snipers) to prevent anyone getting close or around their flanks. Even enemy rifle fire into the rear of these units will take them out!

Hunting armor and recons with either unit is a lesson in futility really, some people get lucky, but it is a very poor role for these units to be in. I would suggest baiting your enemy to come to you rather :)

If you're looking at a bunch of these units to fight with, keep them in a pack of mutual supporting avenues of fire, so they can protect each other from different angles. The more guns on target, the better chance of a 1st shot kill and the survival of your own.

I like to use these units on my flanks rather than towed ATGs as they can relocate quicker and come join the firefight without having to setup under fire. i also like to use them behind hills, angled to catch enemy units moving at the 30-45 degree angle and hope for the flank hit.

Using the Shoot and scoot command usually spells death for me, but it might work for some players. I recently tried it on Nort against 2 buttoned up T34/85s, but the sneaky one was apparently waiting for me and took out my marder with the 1st shot. Such is life on the Ost front!

So what's the rest of the world doing with their Marders and SP guns?
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
05-12-2007, 01:02 AM,
Well, its obvious that Randy has not given this much thought.

Hey Dev, take a few minutes to gather your thoughts and get back to us.

;)
05-12-2007, 01:23 AM,
Don't use them much for reasons already pointed out by Randy.. unless I don't have enough points left to buy something of better quality and overall performance.
Even then I do purchase them only if I can afford a "vet" or better crews to man them with.
Then I hide them way back for an emergency fire support or anti tank role. Once an opportune target presents itself, a short hunt order, into a predetermined hull down position is given. in addition using a narrow arc and exposed commander for optimum visibility..