• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Matrixgames CS
05-16-2007, 10:43 PM,
RE: Matrixgames CS
This all sounds fantastic and will no doubt breathe new life into this series, hat's off to all those who are spending their time and energies on it..... I do however have a question or two..... :soap: one of the things that has spoilt PBEM gaming with campaign series is cheating (you can deny it's a problem, but lots of people stopped gaming because of it and it used to be rife...), mainly replaying turns to get the best results, and in some cases I know of opponents who have edited the game files to change their armour stats during the game (caught by umbro during a team game - not me!!).... is it going to be possible to eradicate this sort of loophole? of couse, online gaming is the way forward, but for those of us who only have a little gaming time now and again, it's been a problem..... /:endsoap: ;)

thanks

Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2007, 01:45 AM,
When one purchases and loads the new Matrix CS, will they only be able to play against opponents with the new Matrix game?

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

05-17-2007, 02:21 AM,
RE:��Matrixgames CS
Montana Grizz Wrote:When one purchases and loads the new Matrix CS, will they only be able to play against opponents with the new Matrix game?

Pat

Theoretically, you should be able to play an opponent using the old system with old scenarios. Any new scenarios you will have to play with users of the Matrix CS.

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Send this user an email
05-17-2007, 02:29 AM,
Stryker Wrote:This all sounds fantastic and will no doubt breathe new life into this series, hat's off to all those who are spending their time and energies on it..... I do however have a question or two..... :soap: one of the things that has spoilt PBEM gaming with campaign series is cheating (you can deny it's a problem, but lots of people stopped gaming because of it and it used to be rife...), mainly replaying turns to get the best results, and in some cases I know of opponents who have edited the game files to change their armour stats during the game (caught by umbro during a team game - not me!!).... is it going to be possible to eradicate this sort of loophole? of couse, online gaming is the way forward, but for those of us who only have a little gaming time now and again, it's been a problem..... /:endsoap: ;)
thanks

I believe, and am trying to find out for certain, that the PBEM system will use the same cheating prevention system as TOAW III. Not full-proof by all means, but at least it is something.

Regarding altering armour stats. Unfortunately, no... not yet anyway. One of the beautiful things about the Campaign Series is how easy it is to modify, which is a detriment in the wrong hands.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a new, easier to use, unit editor that allows the creation of new units, but forbids the altering of the exiting and new "core" units.

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Send this user an email
05-17-2007, 11:59 AM,
"Regarding altering armour stats. Unfortunately, no... not yet anyway. One of the beautiful things about the Campaign Series is how easy it is to modify, which is a detriment in the wrong hands. "

Guess I'm to blame for that since it was I who put out the CS Encrypt/Decrypt program. It's a valuable tool for developers but in the wrong hands.....

Here is a list of enhancements I am going to try to implement for the first update. These ought to be within my technical expertise and will enable me to get to know the code better and gain confidence for higher level enhancements.

- Error fixing as reported.

- Aircraft and ship movement slot.

- Berserk (Banzai) attacks for other nations.

- Unmounted horses that move.

- Engineers and recovery vehicles that remove wrecks.

- Aircraft units that can only be targeted by AA weapons.

- Three to four more nation slots.

- Engineers able to cross minor rivers/gullies/etc with pontoon like bridges.

- Engineers able to erect barriers.

- Engineers able to emplace level one mine fields.

- Suicide weapons (Jap anti-tank/suicide bombers (DG)/Chinese Do or Die teams)

- Leaders in Tanks (that can be destroyed).

- Look at assaults and see what I can do about making them better.

05-17-2007, 05:55 PM,
That list is impressive Dog and I'm already looking forward to seeing it all in action :)

Just one thought on the PBEM file modification problem, is it possible to do something like, once the PBEM game file is created, encrypt it somehow... compare it against a file size / character length database of scenarios to ensure it hasn't already been changed (on both players databases when they start it) then move it to first turn status with un-editable encrypted .map .scn and .org files?.. so basically the first contact turn is a non-movement "check" turn? and after that, you can't change the files anyway coz they're encrypted..

05-17-2007, 07:21 PM,
I'm not a tech guy, but I think that .bte file size will change as it depends on the movement done by your opponent. Which means that in turns where all is set and ready for hot welcome for the attacker the file will be considerable smaller than in turns where you have lots of trucks/tanks/wagons/infantry moving around...
"We do not beg for Freedom, we fight for it!"

http://swalencz.w.interia.pl
05-17-2007, 07:39 PM,
Yes Valor, of course you're right....it's the changeable .bte file that's the problem....sleep depravation caused loss of sense Big Grin
05-17-2007, 08:39 PM,
Easiest fix.....don't play people that cheat

no matter how tight the security.....someone who wants to cheat will always find a way.
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
05-17-2007, 09:19 PM,
Dogovich Wrote:- Unmounted horses that move.

Is it also possible to create rafts/boats that move without crew? That way rafts can ferry back and forth over rivers, and the raft overstacking problem would be solved in river crossing scenarios.
Would be great

Huib