• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

B'45...Budapest Garrison too strong?
05-06-2007, 05:28 PM,
B'45...Budapest Garrison too strong?
While I haven't played the full campaign game of B'45, I suspect that the German garrison is too powerful and will easily be able to break out and link up with the IV SS PzK.

I base this upon a recent playing of the Seige scenario which my opponent and I gave up on after 10 turns. It just wasn't competitive for the Russians.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I was already attacking OUT of Budapest against the besiegers. I can only imagine it would be even easier with the relief force not far away.

HIroo
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2007, 12:53 AM,
RE: B'45...Budapest Garrison too strong?
Did you attack out to the east or west? If the Axis units get out into the open, then they really can be slaughtered.

The math for the campaign is as follows:

The Axis starts out with 5700 VPs, the Soviets 2500 VPs. Pest and Csepel Island have 1000 VPs. If the Axis abandons Pest and loses Csepel, and holds on to and captures all other VPs, the score is 7200, just a minor victory. But this supposed that Buda with 2500 VPs is held, otherwise the score is 4700, a major defeat. The Axis cannot abandon Buda, or he loses big time.

Oh, and does one think that the Soviet player will simply stand by while Pest is abandonded? They will rampage through the rear guards and there will be slaughter in the streets. Look the numbers and morale levels; the Soviet has the numeric and morale advantage on the Pest side.

And also there is the real ultimate ball buster for any Axis player who wants to give up Pest easily without a fight, which I won't mention as I am playing a match. But let me assure you that as the Russians, I want the Axis to leave Pest...and Buda.

Marquo :whis:
05-07-2007, 02:50 AM,
Kudos to you Marqo. I assume you mean the loss of the supply source in Pest.

I still think they are too strong. At least it appears that way from the Seige scenario.
05-07-2007, 03:14 PM,
HirooOnoda Wrote:I base this upon a recent playing of the Seige scenario which my opponent and I gave up on after 10 turns. It just wasn't competitive for the Russians.

Well, 10 turns is hardly a good test is it. The Scn is afterall shorten to 100 turns over the historical period which would have been closer to 400 turns as Budapest actually fell on 13 Feb 1945. So I am not sure what sorta progress you expected to see after ten turns. But whatever it was I don't think this scn was a good choice for you.

In any case our concern during the test was to ensure that the City was strong enough to hold up the Soviets at least 100 turns but we felt it was unlikely that they would.

Glenn
Send this user an email
05-07-2007, 03:32 PM,
Okay, thanks for the explination Glenn. That makes sense.
05-08-2007, 01:10 AM,
RE:��B'45...Budapest Garrison too strong?
Send this user an email