• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

NGP85 Set-up Options
05-03-2007, 12:15 AM,
NGP85 Set-up Options
I noticed that out of the box the default option in NGP85 is for Artilley Set Up = off. Is there a reason for this, i.e. does modern towed artilley set up quickly compared to the WWII stuff. Or is it more realistic to set this on.

How about Counter battery fire. in modern combat is counter fire the norm or is it more accurate to have this off.

Are there any ex-artillery chaps out there who can give an experienced perspective for these issues?
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2007, 01:14 AM,
RE: NGP85 Set-up Options
FLG Wrote:I noticed that out of the box the default option in NGP85 is for Artilley Set Up = off. Is there a reason for this, i.e. does modern towed artilley set up quickly compared to the WWII stuff. Or is it more realistic to set this on.

How about Counter battery fire. in modern combat is counter fire the norm or is it more accurate to have this off.

Are there any ex-artillery chaps out there who can give an experienced perspective for these issues?

Just keep in mind that "Arty Setup" in the PzC and MC Series has a lot more to do with setting up Comms and having systems in place where by the spotters can talk to the gun and lay fire on a target.

Also that PzC scale is 2 hour turns and MC is 3 hours. So Arty Setup with a PDT of 100% in PzC will cause no delay, so 1 turn or two hours. A PzC value of 99% will cause a one turn delay for sure and then 99 out of 100 chances that the guns will be ready on the second turn.

MC using no arty Setup is gun available on demand which I think is about right. In WWII the arty could unlimber and fire fast (see the book by George Blackburn - "The Guns of Normandy" for details) The big question remains as to HOW ACCURATE that fire would be. So Setup in PzC in say N44 again isn't about pointing tubes and shouting "AWAY" - rather it is about setup, comms, calculations and any number of other factors gunners have to contend with.

Glenn
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply