• Downloads

Engineers, Bridges and Suicde....illogical
05-01-2007, 04:33 PM,
RE:��Engineers, Bridges and Suicde....illogical
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2007, 03:13 AM,
RE: Engineers, Bridges and Suicde....illogical
Why is everyone getting so hysterical about this? It has been this way for eight years. Sure some sort of well thought out change would be nice but I don't think this is a huge problem. I guess we always need a witch to hunt eh? :)
Send this user an email
05-02-2007, 04:04 AM,
It's one of those weird psychic things. This *just* happened to me a couple of days ago in an S42 game. Up till now I'd never noticed that "Has Bridge" = "Never Retreat!" Apparently it's going around the PzC community right now. Big Grin

Anyway, as a long time programmer & DBA I sympathize with Glenn, et. al. At the end of the day resources are finite - structures and processing are limited. No structure is infinitely flexible, so something like "but all you'd have to add is a flag!" is often easy to say while physically being impossible to do well.
05-02-2007, 04:44 AM,
05-02-2007, 08:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2007, 08:53 AM by Elxaime.)
*deleted*
05-02-2007, 09:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2007, 09:17 AM by von Waldenburg.)
I dont know if that needs a change or not although I think that I'm so used to how it works that I would not change it even only for that reason. The way it works forces the bridging player to make sure that he is gonna have at least local superiority in the area where the bridge is intended to be built. That's the logic I try to apply and it works for me. Another helpful thing is to build bridges only in river bends where the oposite bank is adjacent only in 1 hex. This helps protecting the bridging proccess and the engineer unit and also the backdoor of the eventual bridghead...
And of course variety of thinking is essential in a productive debate... :)
05-02-2007, 10:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2007, 12:04 PM by Glenn Saunders.)
RE: ��Engineers, Bridges and Suicde....illogical
Send this user an email
05-02-2007, 10:56 AM,
Thank you for your attention to this problem Glenn.

Hiroo
05-02-2007, 12:17 PM,
Send this user an email
05-02-2007, 01:01 PM,
This would probably entail too much work...but have bridge units, representing the hardware. Basically, a mobile bridge, something like the supply units. You need one for the engineer to build the bridge, at which time the engineer is free to roam. But you need an engineer to tear down the bridge, at which time both are free to roam. The bridge unit itself is not men...maybe some vehicles? Bridge hardware I'd think could be destroyed on the road.

Just some brainstorming. It might be too much detail for this level of game.