• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sound proposition
04-28-2007, 09:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-28-2007, 04:07 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
Sound proposition
SOUND PROPOSITION

This series of tests reveals that -
Tanks moving on 'Fast' are the noisiest.
'Hunt' is a bit quieter.
'Move' is much quieter.
Stationary tanks can only be heard if listener is close (roughly 40 metres).
'Hide' has no noticeable effect but might possibly quieten a tank very very slightly if enemy infantry are almost on top of it.

[Image: hearA.jpg]

[Image: hearB.jpg]

[Image: hearC.jpg]

[Image: hearD.jpg]

[Image: hearE.jpg]

[Image: hearF.jpg]

[Image: hearG.jpg]

[Image: hearH.jpg]

[Image: hearI.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2007, 10:46 AM,
RE: Sound proposition
Cheers POS... good job.
04-28-2007, 11:55 AM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:Stationary tanks can't be heard at all.
(I therefore can't figger what 'hide' is for, I never touched it)

That's not, strictly speaking, true. Stationary vehicles give sound contacts, but only at very close ranges, right over a hill crest or something.

A few tests I've run don't, however, show an appreciable difference between 'hidden' and 'unhidden' vehicles. Ran one test with a single file line of stationary vehicles on the opposite side of a hill crest...hide didn't seem to have any effect on how many were detected.
04-28-2007, 02:22 PM,
RE:��Sound proposition
The Coil Wrote:Stationary vehicles give sound contacts, but only at very close ranges, right over a hill crest or something.

Yes that's what I suspected,maybe that's what the 'hide' command is for, a kind of 'silent running' option like when an enemy destroyer is almost on top of a sub
04-28-2007, 02:25 PM,
Cheers, Spike, good stuff.
04-28-2007, 02:29 PM,
RE: ��Sound proposition
PoorOldSpike Wrote:
The Coil Wrote:Stationary vehicles give sound contacts, but only at very close ranges, right over a hill crest or something.

Yes that's what I suspected,maybe that's what the 'hide' command is for, a kind of 'silent running' option like when an enemy destroyer is almost on top of a sub

Yeah, could be, and that's apparently what the manual suggests. But the tests I did showed no real difference at all. Especially since you have to be practically on top of a stationary vehicle to get it to give a sound contact. Hard to imagine it'd ever be worth using in game situations - 'my vehicle can be heard by units out of LOS but within 15m, but now, I've clicked 'hide', and it can only be heard from 12m away!' - like you, I generally don't bother with it.

04-28-2007, 04:10 PM,
STOP PRESS NEWS - After very useful comments by The Coil I did the tests again and edited a new shot into the top post showing that stationary tanks CAN be heard if the listener is close (40 metres or so)
04-28-2007, 05:45 PM,
that is interesting test - I wonder if weather have influence on that ?
Send this user an email