• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Best Uses/Practices for: 2 man LMG units
04-21-2007, 05:32 AM,
RE:��Best Uses/Practices for: 2 man LMG units
The Coil Wrote:I've seen a lot of folks scout with snipers and throw away a lot more points when they get aced.

But snipers have so much less chance of being spotted than an LMG. An crack sniper can even run through open ground at some distances without being spotted (well never actually tested that, but was told by a very reliable source - that would make a good POS test).
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2007, 05:42 AM,
RE: ��Best Uses/Practices for: 2 man LMG units
***** Fredrocker's Combat Mission Site *****"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care." - Theodore Roosevelt
Send this user an email
04-21-2007, 06:34 AM,
RE: ��Best Uses/Practices for: 2 man LMG units
04-21-2007, 06:58 AM,
RE: Best Uses/Practices for: 2 man LMG units
Give me a Tankhunter rather than an LMG every time.

For example Aug 43 vet Russian stats -
LMG - cost 8. Can scout. Weak firepower = 30 at 40metres, 28 at 100metres.

TANKHUNTER - cost 13. Can scout. Strong firepower = 100 at 40m, 22 at 100m.
Can kill tanks and scythe down infantry at close range (its smg-armed)

So for spending just 5 points extra, you can have a Tankhunter which can not only scout like LMG's but can also blow away tanks.
PS - Although the TH doesn't have binocs, he's still got good eyeballs so who needs binocs anyway?
04-21-2007, 07:07 AM,
RE:��Best Uses/Practices for: 2 man LMG units
PoorOldSpike Wrote:PS - Although the TH doesn't have binocs, he's still got good eyeballs so who needs binocs anyway?

Umm...that's precisely why you would want to use LMGs or snipers. Units with binocs spot better, units with 'good eyes' are not, to my knowledge, modelled... ;)

Again, I think it depends what you're looking for - on the attack, LMGs probably aren't going to spot anything before it starts shooting at you anyway, so maybe go with TH's.

But the binocs make a big difference, especially spotting MGs firing at range or small AT guns. I like to park LMGs in trees with good LOS as 'spotter overwatch,' ups your chances of spotting that long range harrassing fire...
04-21-2007, 07:18 AM,
A Tankhunt team will easily spot enemy tanks and vehicles without binocs (can't miss 'em), and he'll also spot enemy MG's and Infantry, even if they soon change into icons.
See, the icons tell me where the enemy are and that's all I need to know, why does my TH guy need binocs?
(Anyway I can tell if its an MG or infantry by the sound they make when firing)
04-21-2007, 07:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-21-2007, 07:30 AM by Bootie.)
Zemke uses AT riflemen for his scouts...?

Wondered what the hell was happening when I seen about 6 of these dudes sprinkled round the map walking towards my killzones??

Never thought about using LMG's as scouts before.... are they not slow??

04-21-2007, 07:37 AM,
Nice thread though.... why not start a regular best uses/practices for various CM units. Let us see how everyone else uses their OOB's.
04-21-2007, 07:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-21-2007, 07:41 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
If an LMG scouting team sees an enemy tank they can only look at it and report its whereabouts back to HQ.
But if a Tankhunt team sees an enemy tank, it can not only report its whereabouts, but also throw nasty things at it like Corporal Kinkel (known to his colleagues as "The Kink") is doing below..

[Image: wurf1.jpg]
04-21-2007, 07:39 AM,
You could use them to nail the commander though.