• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Hulldown
11-24-2009, 07:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-24-2009, 07:43 AM by Kelen.)
RE: Hulldown
Armoured combat does seem to have a lot of chance and random events, although as Joonny said, a lot depends on their quality.

If a tank can see what shooting at it and thinks that it has a fair chance of being knocked out it will often go, 'Sod this!' and take evasive action.

If it can see what's shooting at it but thinks that it has a good chance of knocking the target out without being knocked out itself, it will often stand it's ground regardless how many hits it's taking.

If it can see what's shooting and the odds are fairly even, well, place your bets as to what it will do.

If however, it can't see what's shooting it normally just stands there and takes it; as how can you take evasive action when you don't know where the fire coming from? Also i've found that it more likey that the crew will bail in these curcumstances.

And no, you can't recrew anything in CM be it vehicles, guns, or support weapons once they've been abandoned.
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2009, 09:29 AM,
I was playing the Katukov strikes back scenario, the 88s were fixed and I engaged the T34s at about 800 - 1000m, not far for an 88. Those buggers kept on missing though, rotten luck that. I think my 4 88s accounted for 3 T34s, and my 105 howitzers accounted for about 5 or 6.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
11-24-2009, 10:06 AM,
Weasel Wrote:Those buggers kept on missing though, rotten luck that.

What experience level were the crews?
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
11-24-2009, 01:00 PM,
Quote:Weasel Wrote:
Those buggers kept on missing though, rotten luck that.

What experience level were the crews?

Also, attached HQ's w/ combat+ bonuses (lighting icon) give guns a hit chance boost, as long as they both have sight of the target when the shooting starts...

POS had a post somewhere showing this crucial technique.
11-24-2009, 11:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-24-2009, 11:14 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
Okay I just put a post about it in the 'Gun Gun Gun' thread.

PS- where can i find the Katukov Strikes Back scenario so I can analyse the 88's v T-34 thing?
11-25-2009, 05:14 AM,
PoorOldSpike Wrote:Okay I just put a post about it in the 'Gun Gun Gun' thread.

PS- where can i find the Katukov Strikes Back scenario so I can analyse the 88's v T-34 thing?

Just emailed it to you...
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
11-25-2009, 07:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2009, 07:47 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Okay I just got a Tac vic against the Russian AI in Katukov Strikes Back

*****************SPOILER*********************

This was my German setup and didn't change much throughout the game, I just picked off the Russian tanks like flies as they came into view. I left 5x panzers right up front behind some small hillocks so they could fire into the Russians rear and sides as they streamed past, even though the Brief advises pulling the panzers back to safety. (I run my own shows, not any REMF Briefing officer)
[Image: Kat-a.jpg]

Below-The endgame screen. The red wavy line is the final Russian line, his infantry advanced further than his tanks did. I've added pink lines to show the direction of most of the shooting.
Here's the number of Russian tanks killed by my boys-
My 3x 88's killed 17
My 7x panzers killed 4
My 6x 105 guns killed 1
(Tot Russ tanks killed=22 out of 25)

My losses were-
All my 7x panzers,
2 out of 3 88's
3 out of 6 105's

Summary- the 2x 88's in the foreground were the war-winners, hammering the Russians at about 1000 metres for turn after turn, getting an accuracy bonus from the TRP down at the end of the Mtensk road; plus of course I had them under the command of a +2 combat-rated officer to get a further accuracy bonus, they killed over one-third of the Red armour single-handed before return fire wrecked them, then my remaining 88 in the valley got in on the act as the Russkis began peeking into the valley, and polished off another 8.
The 105's only had HE shells and were near-useless against armour.
[Image: Katc.jpg]

[Image: Katb.jpg]
11-25-2009, 07:45 AM,
Weasel Wrote:I was playing the Katukov strikes back scenario, the 88s were fixed and I engaged the T34s at about 800 - 1000m, not far for an 88. Those buggers kept on missing though, rotten luck that. I think my 4 88s accounted for 3 T34s, and my 105 howitzers accounted for about 5 or 6.

In CM all 88s that are not mounted on a vehicle are fixed, the manual says something about their setup and packdown times being too excessive to fit into the time frame of a CM battle (unless the gun starts being towed by a vehicle, where you can move it to where you need it but once it's disembarked it's going to stay their until its destroyed or the battle ends)
11-25-2009, 07:50 AM,
During the setup phase two of the 88's and all the 105's can be moved around within their setup zones
11-25-2009, 08:58 AM,
And you have to be darned careful when you unload one from the SdKz7 or whatever it looks like a great spot.......pull the vehicle up just so......a little more......unload the gun.....and :censored: the gun winds up behind the crest and has no LOS for the whole game.....

I've done that more than once
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]