• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Hulldown
09-20-2007, 10:39 PM,
RE: Hulldown
Brvj Wrote:but what is the "massive advantage " of the pic above if the T-34 is hulldown which is probably the case since you advocate for "always go hulldown" ?

If the T-34 was hulldown, it'd get an advantage same as the panzers because it'd be harder to hit, and neither side would have an advantage.
But if the panzers moved out of their hulldown positions they'd be easier to hit and the massive advantage would be in favour of the T-34.
The moral? - don't give the enemy an advantage by leaving your hulldown position and making yourself an easier target.. :)
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2007, 06:53 AM,
The PIV is a marginal example because the hull amour is pretty much impervious to the T34 at that range. It's still generally worth going hulldown even if your hull armour is "impenetrable" to avoid (a) penetrations at weak points and (b) immobilisations.
09-27-2007, 01:06 PM,
I use hulldown, every chance I get.. :-)
11-21-2009, 08:28 AM,
Just borrowed CM from a friend while I decide if I am going to stick with it or not (so far I am). As the AI is chewing up my IS2s (doing advance tutorial) I am also wondering about hull down and shoot and scoot. Can you be hull down, fire, back up, move forward into hull down and fire again? This is normal tactic for us zipper heads, but we actually jockey to a different location so the enemy has to relay the gun on you.

I have been trying the HD move option and found my tanks sit well below the crest, unable to see anything. The S&S my tank sits on the hill doing nothing.

My brain hurts.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
11-21-2009, 09:31 AM,
Weasel Wrote:Can you be hull down, fire, back up, move forward into hull down and fire again?

Yes you can, but it's best to get a feel for where "hulldown" is yourself - by eyeballing it from ground level - then give your tank the move orders you want. If you "hunt" your AFV up to the crest, it will stop as soon as it sees an enemy AFV and will be hulldown. The HD move option doesn't work well in this game. It sounds like with "shoot-n-scoot" your tank didn't see anything to shoot at so he just remained there. He may not have been far enough above the rise to see.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
11-21-2009, 12:43 PM,
Nah, he was sitting fully on the crest the dumb ass. After re-reading my question I wasn't very clear. I guess I was trying to ask if you can combine HD command with the shoot and scoot command...so move to HD, fire, and back up below the crest.

I read in one of the posts that you can delay a units move so he has time to reload, I cannot find this order.

I have also been reading the tactical posts you guys have here, but I must admit there are far too many to read. Are there any MUST reads you can recommend.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
11-21-2009, 02:53 PM,
Weasel Wrote:Nah, he was sitting fully on the crest the dumb ass.

If your tank was buttoned when it got to the rise it might still not have found the target - tank visibility is reduced when buttoned. You can't combine the "seek hulldown" with the "shoot-n-scoot" commands - the best you can do is eyeball where hulldown would be when you do your "shoot-n-scoot" - it just takes practice.

Weasel Wrote:I read in one of the posts that you can delay a units move so he has time to reload, I cannot find this order.

I don't know of any such order. THe tanks all automatically reload after firing.

Weasel Wrote:Are there any MUST reads you can recommend.

As far as tactical posts, anything by Poor Old Spike is helpful for new players. Another good way to learn (although somewhat boring) is by playing small hotseat games against yourself with extreme FOW on.
"Most sorts of diversion in men, children, and other animals, are in imitation of fighting." - Jonathan Swift
11-21-2009, 08:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-21-2009, 08:09 PM by Kelen.)
Weasel Wrote:I read in one of the posts that you can delay a units move so he has time to reload, I cannot find this order.

Although not specifically for that purpose the 'pause' command will give you the time to reload. You just ned to check that ROF for your vehicle and than make sure that you've paused long enough. You only pause for fixed periods of time however, so you can't specify exactly how long.

quote=Weasel]

I have also been reading the tactical posts you guys have here, but I must admit there are far too many to read. Are there any MUST reads you can recommend.

[/quote]

There may be, but I've found that a lot of tactical advice given is biased to the playing style of the person posting it, (e.g. ALWAYS buy shed loads of armour and ALWAYS use them en-masse, or always go infantry heavy). As good as that advice may be you'll always find someone saying the opposite, (and both will quote examples of why their advice is the best!), and no one tactic is appropriate in all circumstances anyway!

As such, unless you want to trawl through all of the posts giving specific mathmatical data, such as, exactly how far into trees you have to be before you cannot be seen, or the exact hit % for each type of cover, (which to me is both unrealistic and somewhat anal - although knowing such minutiae may give you a slight edge); your best bet it just to play the game, try and stick to tactics that were used in real warfare, see what happens, and what suits your own style of play.
11-22-2009, 05:02 AM,
Thanks guys. I have two mentor games underway (Wigam is underway, Von Bismarck is starting) and this should help me learn the bits.

Do you guys use a mentor system like I created for SP? If interested/curious read post 2 here:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=50259

It keeps newbies from becoming shark bait.
11-22-2009, 07:04 AM,
Weasel Wrote:I have also been reading the tactical posts you guys have here, but I must admit there are far too many to read. Are there any MUST reads you can recommend.

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum....php?t=252