• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Flag possession
03-30-2007, 11:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-26-2008, 06:51 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Flag possession
Don't try to memorise this, it's just meant to show how difficult it is to know whether we or the enemy control flags, the best we can do is just get as much stuff as possible near to a flag and keep our fingers crossed that it'll be ours at the end of the game..

[Image: zzz.jpg]

[Image: five.jpg]

[Image: CM-flagsC.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2007, 08:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2008, 06:05 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: Flag possession
This from an actual game-

[Image: flaga.jpg]

[Image: flagb.jpg]
03-31-2007, 09:18 AM,
I bet that sucked... LOL
06-26-2008, 06:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-26-2008, 06:54 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
STAY QUIET AND STAY ALIVE TO KEEP FLAGS NEUTRAL

These endgame screenshots show how you can keep a flag neutral by simply having a few units near it like my Germans, even though the Russians have a heavy presence nearby.
Most of my Germans in the pics are on 'Hide' with short arcs to stop them firing and giving away their position, they'd be crazy to come out and fight a superior force and get blown away for nothing.
Far better to stay alive and quietly maintain a presence to keep the flags neutral..:)
[Image: MD-endc.gif]

[Image: MD-endb.gif]

(Tac note- the long arc in this one below is simply insurance to cut down any Russians rash enough to charge at the tank, but they never did)
[Image: MD-endd.gif]

Remember, the enemy can't kill you if he can't see you..:)
[Image: trench.jpg]
09-03-2008, 04:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2008, 01:09 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
FLAG CONTROL TESTS

The manual states on p31- "Prisoners, ex-prisoners, forward observers, and unarmed vehicles exert no control over flags. Crews do, but you need several to reach the threshold"

Test 1, TRUCKS
As expected at the end of the game, they don't control the flag despite sitting on top of it..
[Image: tck.gif]

Test 2, EMPTY MAIN GUN PzIVG's
Although I stripped all their main gun ammo (HE/ AP/ Tungsten/ Smoke), their MG's weren't empty and the flag is captured..
[Image: empt.gif]

Test 3, EMPTY NASHORNS
Surprise surprise, although I stripped all their main gun ammo AND they have no MG's, they still captured the flag!
[Image: nsh.gif]

Test 4- Sd251/1's WITH MG AMMO hold the flag at the end..
[Image: sd251ammo.gif]

Test 5- Sd251/1's WITH NO MG AMMO don't hold the flag at end because I'd area-fired all their ammo into the ground to fully deplete them all..
[Image: sd251.gif]

CONCLUSION- Empty MG's won't capture flags, but empty guns will.
09-03-2008, 06:45 PM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: Flag possession
[quote=PoorOldSpike]

"Crews do, but you need several to reach the threshold"

I know you're busy mate but any chance you can test the parameters of this for us/me? I often use crews to secure flags.

Thanks
09-04-2008, 06:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2008, 06:56 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
CREW CAPTURES FLAG

This test confirms what the manual says on page 31 about crews being able to capture flags.

1- I staged a tank battle (right background) between a few PzIV's and lots of T-34's to generate some loose crews, then after wrecking all the panzers I drove the T-34's off the map so they wouldn't influence things further. I then ran this panzer crew up to the flag along the arrow, and here at the end of the game he owns it.
(Note the crew consists of just a single man, his 4 mates were casualties)
[Image: crewa.gif]

2- In this next test I ran a Russian squad up to within about 60 metres of the flag but at the end the German crew still controls it.
[Image: crewb.gif]

3- In this final test I edged the Russian squad a little closer to the flag, and this time at the end his presence outweighs the German crew and the flag is Russian-owned. (The arc was just to prevent him shooting at the crew)
[Image: crewc.gif]

CONCLUSION- as the manual says, crews exert only a weak influence on flags, and any nearby enemy units will easily out-influence them..
09-06-2008, 10:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-06-2008, 10:24 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
DAMAGED GUN and flag control

In this test I shot up a bunch of PzIVH's with light flak til a tank main gun was damaged, then moved the flaks off map and advanced the tank to the flag. Here at the end of the game it controls the flag even though its main gun is damaged. It has MG ammo aboard (ringed)
[Image: dama.gif]

I then ran the test again and this time I area-fired all the tanks MG ammo into the ground to get rid of it. Yet here at the end it still controls the flag.
[Image: damb.gif]

Conclusion- Tanks with damaged guns will capture flags even if they've no MG ammo left.
09-06-2008, 11:26 PM,
Does anyone know if the size of the flag has any bearing on how many men/vehicles are required to capture it?