• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Books
04-12-2007, 12:42 AM,
RE: Books
Im currently reading 'A Bridge to Far' again by Cornelius Ryan... man I love this book... !!
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2007, 07:16 PM,
When you're done with that try "It Never Snows in September" by Robert Kershaw: Market Garden from the German POV.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
04-15-2007, 01:42 PM,
hi everyone

I found a great book on Capt. Charles upham V.C & Bar, alled "The Mark of the Lion"
he was a New Zealander. This account of the first combat soilder to win the vc & bar is a great read.
From Crete to North Africa to Colditz. it is a story of a modest man who achevied in my opinion the right to be called a hero. well worth a read
04-19-2007, 02:32 AM,
MICHAEL WITTMANN AND THE WAFFEN SS TIGER COMMANDERS OF THE LEIBSTANDARTE IN WWII, Vol. 1 & 2 (Stackpole Military History): Books: Patrick Agte

I am in the final chapter of this two volume book. Its one of the best I've read about the subject. Lots of personal accounts, pictures, and some maps (however some maps are hard to read and understand).

I have many books on German Armor and this is now one of my favorites. But you need to buy both books. Wittmann's death is in the second volume but it goes on throughout the end of the war following the heavy panzer units of the 1st SS Pz Div LSSAH.

05-22-2007, 10:14 PM,
I just finished reading The Longest Winter by Alex Kershaw. It's the story if the I&R platoon/394/99 ID's stateside training, fight in the Bulge, POW experience and postwar reunions. In addition to Lt Lyle Bouck and his platoon, the cast of characters includes Jochen Peiper, Kurt Vonnegut Jr and George Steinbrenner. Great read!
05-23-2007, 06:17 AM,
Thumbs_Up  RE: Books
What about John Keegans "The face of battle"? He describes in an excellent way what happened in different battles realy to the soldiers. His book deals with strategy and the life and dying of the soldiers too. I think a must to read. For me it is his best book.
06-17-2007, 02:34 AM,
Happen to find this gem in my local library, "Blood Red Snow, The Memoirs Of A German Soldier On The Eastern Front", published by Greenhill Books, London and Stackpole Books, USA. CR 2002. It was written by Gunter K. Koschorrek. He was a German machine gunner. Really a good read, a good companion book to "The Forgotton Soldier".
keif.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0..._114487510
Send this user an email
06-18-2007, 04:33 AM,
So many good books to read and so little time. If I was to be stranded on a desert island the one book I'd want to have is "The Decisive Battles of the Western World and Their Influence Upon History" by J.F.C. Fuller. This book covers the period from the Battle of Marathon to the Second World War. As the title suggests, this book is more than just a description of famous battles, it is also an expert analysis of the causes and consequences of these battles on world history. Fuller was one of the great military minds of the last century. His knowledge of world history is second to none and his interpretation of events is incisive and always thought provoking.

His history was originally published in 3 volumes but was edited down to two volumes by the British historian John Terraine for the paperback edition. This is the copy I have and it comes in at almost 1200 pages. Terraine does a good job of summarizing the sections deleted from the original but I still plan on someday getting the original 3 volume set.

08-12-2007, 02:32 AM,
Greetings!
A couple of really good boks that I have finished recently.
First one; "The Men of Company K" by Leinbaugh and Campbell.
Was written in an interesting way, as you get to see all of the events in a battle. Should be a great resource for scenario designers, as it covers oobs on both sides and with maps.
http://www.amazon.com/Men-Company-Harold...0688044212

Second, a true classic "Band of Brothers" by Ambrose. If you have watched the HBO series, even a few times over like me, I think you will still find this a great book, to fill in all the details. Plus you can visulize the events in your mind from watching the series. Also a great scenario resource.
http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers-Regi...653&sr=1-1
Send this user an email
08-20-2007, 05:40 AM,
Admiral Sandy Woodward. One Hundred Days: Memoirs of the Falklands Battle Group Commander.

Just finished it, great great book, details the naval action much more than the land war. Tom Clancy said it was the best book on the loneliness of command he had read, but i think that's just favouritism toward submariners.