• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

France 40 Mod A- TOAW III
03-23-2007, 12:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-23-2007, 12:22 PM by Currahee.)
France 40 Mod A- TOAW III
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2007, 08:17 AM,
RE: France 40 Mod A- TOAW III
04-07-2007, 09:41 AM,
are you talking about the 'classic' france 40?

will the mod you're talking about be available for download?
04-07-2007, 12:08 PM,
Yes, it's a mod of the classic France 40. The mod is available here, go "tournaments", then TOAW- Mods & Patches.
04-07-2007, 10:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2007, 10:04 PM by m5000.)
one thing that was really annoying for me when i was playing classic france 40 was that there are no separate bridging engineer units to fix bridges, so you have to use a whole division to try to do it wasting its movement points, and you usually fail anyway
04-07-2007, 11:09 PM,
I took a look at that based on an earlier comment, and decided that in this scenario, it's not too much of an issue. Most of the rivers aren't "super rivers", and can easily be rolled past; and the divisions and their HQ's both have engineering assets, and many of the divisions have a capability over 50%; so they can be forded "on the run", and then have a real bridge up within a week, so I don't think it's far off. And at the start the Germans are already over the Rhine (super river) everywhere except two location on the lower Rhine, where they can blast the Dutch defenders off without giving them a chance to blow the bridges (remember, the Germans now start with an even bigger combat advantage over the allies: the allies are 90% shock at start, and the Dutch and Belgian units are 55 proficiency instead of 60); believe me, you won't have trouble getting the early bridges intact, and if you have to use an occasional division to stop and build a bridge, it's not unrealistic; heavy equipment does get held up waiting for bridges to go in, and when you run up a dedicated engineer unit and build the bridge with one click, and the troops don't even pause in their rush across, you have pretty much negated what should have been more of a barrier.

So folks can go either way on engineers, but I think this one plays pretty well now; give it a try!
04-16-2007, 10:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-16-2007, 10:45 PM by Currahee.)
05-19-2007, 10:43 PM,
I've come around to m5000's position on bridging units; in the current version, a bridging and a rail repair unit have been added to each side. It should now be possible to keep an attack (or counterattack) rolling. There is only one of each for each side, but they can still be marginally effective even when split into two subunits. Auto rail repair is also increased for each side, to six. Playtesting continues.