• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Smolensk '41
03-22-2007, 11:26 PM,
Smolensk '41
Hi! Would you recommend Smolensk '41 as a good game to approach the PzC series? I like games with space to manouver, with a variety of terrain types and balance between the forces on the field. A second factor is obviously the ammount of PBEM players. Are there other games you would suggest? Thanks,

Filippo
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2007, 02:23 AM,
RE: Smolensk '41
As a newb to the series and pbem my opinion is lacking experience. That said, I'm playing one of the larger S41 scenarios and it's got what you describe you're looking for. Room to move and looking like pretty 'balanced' forces (in actuality fights for local superiority... who willingly goes into a fight with 'even' forces? :)), with lots to do. City fighting, open field running, bridging, sneaking around, scouting, some intense artillery on both sides, air power... though I've been on the recieving end of it. Lost 138 guys in a single air interdiction attack (iirc) when moving in T mode in the day time. Ouch.

Anyway, yes, S41 is great IMO.
03-23-2007, 02:56 AM,
i you are looking for room to manuever yeah, smolenks is your game, but the best way to get into pzc is to choose one battle you like and buy it. In my case i start with bulge now i have most of the titles and planing to buy the rest
03-23-2007, 04:59 AM,
Valgua Wrote:I like games with space to manouver, with a variety of terrain types and balance between the forces on the field.
For those particular criteria, Smolensk is an ideal choice.

Another ideal choice for this list of considerations would be Stalingrad.

Moscow is also a good one, with a huge map.

El Alamein meets your requirement for space to maneuver, but Libya and Egypt do not exactly meet your request for variety of terrain types ...

Many of the other battles (fun as they are to play) were either set-piece battles, or were fought over very constrictive terrain, IMHO, and so do not meet your stated needs.
03-23-2007, 10:43 AM,
RE:��Smolensk '41