• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Supply Question
03-07-2007, 06:03 AM,
Supply Question
In the manual it doesn't tell you much about how supply varies with distance from a supply source. In Glenn's article "Explicit Supply and the Evolution of Panzer Campaigns Supply Model" he does say that

This supply path is calculated as .02 of the Motorized Movement cost.

However, on rail lines does the supply path assume rail movement or just motorised movement on a rail line
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2007, 06:40 AM,
RE: Supply Question
I believe the underlying assumption is that that supply is being transported from supply sources by trucks and hence is always measured in motorized movement points. You don't really say which model you are looking at, but "virtual supply trucks" should be a pretty good indication on how that model works.

Fury
03-07-2007, 08:11 AM,
Sgt Fury Wrote:I believe the underlying assumption is that that supply is being transported from supply sources by trucks and hence is always measured in motorized movement points. You don't really say which model you are looking at, but "virtual supply trucks" should be a pretty good indication on how that model works.

Fury

Yes, it was virtual supply trucks I was thinking of.
03-07-2007, 06:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-08-2007, 12:04 AM by FLG.)
OK another couple of questions.

I assume supply can't trace a path through MINES and OBSTACLES and I am sure it can trace a path through penetrated obstacles but what about penetrated mines?

Also, is supply movement affected by road congestion?
03-08-2007, 03:04 AM,
Yes supply can be traced through penetrated mines, congestion and rubble will also effect VST cost, unless the rubble has lanes cleared by a enginneer unit.
03-08-2007, 05:08 AM,
There is a command when using VST in the menu under View>Local Supply Values. This will do the math for you if you turn it on after viewing the command dialog at the beginning of your turn.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
03-08-2007, 06:29 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:There is a command when using VST in the menu under View>Local Supply Values. This will do the math for you if you turn it on after viewing the command dialog at the beginning of your turn.

Dog Soldier

I have been using Local Supply Values, very useful it is too. Though it is a shame it only lasts untill the turn is first saved.

I am currently playing the Minsk campaign as the Russians and I am trying to get a better handle on VST as I can see as I move towards Minsk, especially in the South on the edge of the Pripet marshes, that ensuring efficient flow of supply is going to become critical. Hence all the questions.
03-08-2007, 11:50 AM,
RE:�� Supply Question

Quote:I have been using Local Supply Values, very useful it is too. Though it is a shame it only lasts untill the turn is first saved.

I was actuaqlly the guy who asked John to make those values available to the player. This value is the one that is used to determine Disruption recovery and resupply of course at the start of the turn. So it is really only used and thus needed at the start of the turn.

Because of this the value is calculated and stored it in memory. That is the info is not written to the file so you could load another file and view the supply value there, then switch back to this one.

Could the info be written? ...well, yes, I suppose it could. The question becomes is it worth writting all this to the file. I'm not a programer so I can't comment really on how hard it is. But in the big picture I don't pick one hex over another when placing or moving my units based on the VST value of one hex or another. So the info isn't really that critical to my desicion process as I play.

Glenn
Send this user an email
03-08-2007, 07:14 PM,
Glenn Saunders Wrote:But in the big picture I don't pick one hex over another when placing or moving my units based on the VST value of one hex or another. So the info isn't really that critical to my desicion process as I play.

Me neither, I let tactical consideration rule at the unit level. However, I do use local supply value to decide if an area of the map is or is likely to become a supply back water and hence in need of some remedial action, such as bridge building and rubble clearing. I just have to remember to review the supply situation for the whole map before I make my first save.