• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Etiquette
03-02-2007, 09:00 PM,
RE: Etiquette
I like to at least read the historical background out of the selection menu so that I at least have an idea of the situation that I am getting into - as would be the case in real life.
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2007, 02:17 AM,
Kursk is an odd duck of a battle when viewed from the perspective of this thread. The Germans had extensive air recon of the fortifications opposing them, yet the operation gained "a life of its own" where nay sayers kept their mouths shut. there were German generals who later stated they had misgivings about the campaign that summer. Who is to say they truly were worried or are using hindsight for CYA.

In any event, replaying history and changing the out come in a memoir or book is easy since the writer assume the enemy will do just what they did and the writer will change what they did to have a better outcome.

At least in our games, the opponent should not be tied to what was done, only what was possible. Releases of reserves etc. are the key to great games. Keeping the other side guessing after the game turn clock starts is what can win a scenario. It certainly makes for a good gaming experience.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
03-03-2007, 02:45 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:At least in our games, the opponent should not be tied to what was done, only what was possible. Releases of reserves etc. are the key to great games. Keeping the other side guessing after the game turn clock starts is what can win a scenario. It certainly makes for a good gaming experience.

Dog Soldier

On th4e same note, I am generally against fixed units in a campaign game where you are in charge of an army group.

Generally release of reserves was based on the progress of the battle. Using historical release dates in the game only makes sense if you primarily follow the original battle plan and acheive objectives at about the same rate.

A prime example of this is the release of Russian tank forces. Later in the war the control of tank forces during a battle generally fell to higher level command. The idea being the forces were only released once the infantry had achieved penetration of the enemy line. The tanks could then specfically fulfill there roll of deep penetration and not be wasted in infantry support

In the game, if you acheive penetration earlier than historical you can't exploit this as you tank forces are still fixed. This give the enemy chance to fall back and if possible create another line A better way I think would be to have an option for the release of formations once certian objectives have been acheived

I like the option in Minsk of a no fixed unit campaign as this allows the player to judge the timing for his own forces based on his own battle plan.