• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

AAR - Turn 53 - Sicily(Rock-Paper-Scissors w/ Both Stronger)
02-15-2007, 02:50 PM,
AAR - Turn 53 - Sicily(Rock-Paper-Scissors w/ Both Stronger)
My opponent and I are having a great time with this slugfest. So I thought I post a little bit of the action going on right now.

I am playing as germans.

Turn 53 -

British Sector
The first few days of the british landings were relatively quiet. I withdrew my forces to defend an area stretching from Gela-Lake-Iblei Mtns-Syracuse.

The british took Gela, but did not push west, they concentrated against my HG units, waiting, building up strength. Their first assault came against Syracuse itself. With the landing of Airborne units and the rapid advance of their beach landing infantry up the road, they were poised to take the city. After a small slugfest, I was able to force them to withdraw back across the bridge(eventually blowing it), and the Airborne were anhilated.

The front lines along the british sector havn't changed too much. The british launched a general offensive against my forces in the Iblei Mtns where it has seemingly stalled. I must admit, I actually shed a tear as these brave men pound themselves against my defenses. British losses are undoubtedly high.

Gela is where the british finally making headway. For near 5 days the HG held out against superior numbers and finally are being forced to withdraw. There were still two bridges along the Gela river intact and I had planned to launch a mix regiment of Italian and German infantry at Gela and strike their supply depots on the beaches. Unfortunately the british commander saw it coming and although I successfully took the town of Gela, the bridges were blown denying me access to the british rear. On the up side, the 250 pt Victory location is back in my hands.

Reinforcements are in route to the relieve the exhausted HG troops.

The british are in firm control of the SE corner of the island, aside from a few pesky italian units working on guerilla and plain annoyance tactics.

America Sector -

realizing the Americans had not landed at Gela, I figured the Allied commanded elected the strategy where they would land to the west.

I concentrated the 10th pz and the majority of the 15th PzG Div and Italian units around Palermo and the northern beaches.

This gave the Americans easy access to the southern beaches and a rapid push northwards. Near every bridge along the southern roads that would connect the two forces (American and British) have been blown and it would take some time before any link up is made possible.

So I wait. The western seaborne towns are still in german, or rather Italian hands. Palermo has been turned into fortress with its natural surrounding terrain. The americans advanced single mindedly with the intent to push on Palermo with the 36th and 45th Divisions that just landed a few turns ago. My rear guard units are doing a fine job stalling their advance while my beach defenses are literally destroying the 36th and 45th Divisions. I sacrificed the western part of the island for this advantage and we all know Palermo is the key to the area.

While this slaughter on the beaches goes on, I have a Regiment of the 15th PzG and the Italian 177th Reg counter-attacking American airborne units which are holding a vital airfield east of their landing areas in the south. This attack just started and is building up steam.

Right now the Allies are taking casualties at near a 2-1 ratio with their german counter-parts in all fields.

After 53 turns the Allies have -44 VPs (yep negative) the bad thing for me is there still is near 300 turns :(
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2007, 08:40 PM,
c_Question Mark  RE: AAR - Turn 53 - Sicily(Rock-Paper-Scissors w/ Both Stronger)
Thanks for your AAR. Sicily is a hard battle for the Allied Side. I am currently playing in PBEM This scenario (but no stronger forces) and take the historical landing. We are at turn 243... Do you use the Alt. Artillery fire ? If yes, it is a great advantage for you as the Allied side need to concentrate a lot of troops to hope disrupted German moral A bataillon in Trench(from -40% to -90% bonus defense...).
02-15-2007, 09:43 PM,
RE: AAR - Turn 53 - Sicily(Rock-Paper-Scissors w/ Both Stronger)
I think this is yet another indication that the alternative invasion plan in the otherwise excellent "Rock, Paper, Panzer" scenario is inferior to the historical plan. Different players have told me how as the Germans they destroy the British beachhead and then turn on the Americans, destroying them. The game is already hard as the Allies and choosing the alternative invasion is the nail in the coffin for Monty and Patton in my opinion. What does the community think? Have someone had success with the alt. plan?
02-15-2007, 11:44 PM,
one of this game (with alternative landing) just ended on the Campaigns france site : The Allies are unable to advance.G= German player blocked the North-East corner and Allies can't advance. They didn't have the Canadians in support too.

In my mind, it is very difficult to win with alternative landng as you disperse your troops.. The English can't push alone from Syracuse to Messine.
02-16-2007, 12:51 PM,
Like Engelbrekt said the alternate landings doom the Allied forces. If the landings took place at the same time, it "might" make for a better balance. As it is the Axis can preapre for the later landings while isolating and manhandling the initial ones. NTM if the Axis starts the 15 PG in the east, too, then it will be worse for the Brits.

Just my observations.
Bob