• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Game Mechanics
02-16-2007, 12:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-16-2007, 12:56 AM by Soldier.)
RE:�� Game Mechanics
Mad Russian Wrote:
kineas Wrote:The realtime pressure is not modeled.

It is if you play my scenarios. I make scenarios that are time sensitive.

I playtest them with designers God Knowledge and see how long it takes me to win. Then I give you a few extra turns. It gets playtested and when it can be won but players are still wanting more time it's finished.

My thoughts are these:

1) We can't come close to the stress a field commander has, sitting in front of my monitor, in a nice comfortable chair.

2) No matter how many times I get told, a field commander has all the time he needs to perform his mission, I know better. I was there and saw time constraints on orders assigned to company commanders.

3) Outside influences are not taken into account by the game. There are other things that happen in real life that aren't modeled in the game. Like counterattacks that hit you before you got to the objective on time. Storms. Air attacks. Night falling. A commander getting killed and his men falling back. None of which is in the game. Making a game tight on turns is.

4) A commander has to make difficult decisions; sometimes on a second by second basis, in combat. Not so in CM.

So, to work all that into the game, in a single action, I make my scenarios a bit tight on time. You will have time to finish the battle/operation but you won't be able to take all the time in the world to do it. That just isn't realistic. I try to make my scenarios as realistic as possible for you CM addicts.

To those that play my scenarios, thank you. I appreciate your support.

Good Hunting.

MR

An excellent case for "fixed endings." :-)
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2007, 01:57 AM,
RE:��Game Mechanics
02-16-2007, 07:29 AM,
RE: Game Mechanics

I use the scenario editor all the time to test certain things. Will my Pz III-H survive a front hit from a 2-pounder? How close can my sniper get in scattered trees before being spotted? That kind of thing. Usually just as game situations arise & I need to know. But I certainly don't take it to the level of knowing exactly to the last cm how far back in woods to position my boys. Maybe I should...... examining .430 win % on Blitz ladder....yeah maybe I should get me some of that game mechanics stuff.....
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
03-30-2007, 10:00 AM,
Actually looking at POS's posts above I have to say they are very informative and laid out in a fun way. I dont know how much of the actual information i will take into battle with me.... hopefully subconciously Im spongin up all this info.

I still wont be memorising it though... as it takes away the spontaneity of the game IMO.
04-01-2007, 01:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2007, 01:16 AM by PoorOldSpike.)