• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

WinMBT chrashes - what to do?
02-10-2007, 07:11 PM,
RE: WinMBT chrashes - what to do?
Don't know about 3.0, but in the past, most crash on replay problems are because the replay uses up memory. Sometimes it can be fixed by turning fast arty on. That saves the memory used for each explosion. If that doesn't work, see if your system uses a MB (motherboard) with an on board video chipset. If so, which is normal for most modern mass market machines, check and see how much RAM is allocated to the video chip set. IIRC, you will need at least 64K. Some systems won't let you reserve that much. If that is where you are, you will need to think about a video card with at least 64k of memory. The good news is they are getting cheaper every day. You should be able to find a video card with 128K for under 70 $ US.

l
"I totally don't know what that means, but I WHOUNT it!"
-Jessica Simpson
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2007, 01:28 AM,
Thanks for the replies. But, it still keeps crashing, during replay or during game start. This happened, again, on turn 2.

The videocard is AtiRadeon 1100, dont know about K's.

I have tried with different screen resolutions, in full size and Windowed size, battle fx on and tweaked the videocard settings. Nothing works. Any really really clever ones out there?
02-18-2007, 01:43 AM,
K's are Kilos, or thousands. 256K would be 256 thousand bits of Memory. Memory is RAM ( Random Access Memory). That is where the machine stores data it is using to make all those neeto things happen on your screen. Like I used to tell me Intro to Computer Science students ( CompSci 101), think of it as a bunch of light switches. 256 thousand of them. Megs is millions. So 256 megs of Ram would be 256 million light switchs.
They are very tiny, as you can imagine.
Any way, these light switches go on and off in patterns. Those patterns are interperted by a special part of your machine. If you don't have enough 'light switches' the special part of your machine will run out of them before it finishes the job. That confuses it and it stops running.
Sort of like what happens when your 19 year old girlfriend finds out you put a limit on the credit card you gave her. She gets confused and stops.....
-Jessica Simpson
02-18-2007, 01:59 AM,
K'yeah ;)

But what to do, that's the K'uestion.

I know about that last part Big Grin
02-18-2007, 02:33 AM,
Check the paperwork that came with your system and see if you have enough memory on your video card to meet the minimum requirements, if so, reinstall the game. If that doesn work, I'm fresh out of ideas. Let me get this first pot of coffee finished and then we'll see if anything comes to mind.
I have no way of knowing how computer literate you are so I tried to keep it as simple as possible to start.
-Jessica Simpson
02-18-2007, 05:08 AM,
Ok, I'm sitting here listening to Crew 7 "Eye of the tiger as part of my pre-game warm and thought I would look up your vidoe card;
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Radeon-...174.0.html

You have NO memory on this card. It uses what is called shared memory ( I prefer stolen or lost memory, but then again, I'm not selling anything)

That means it uses part of your system memory as video memory. You need to go into cmos and see what your allocation of memory is. I have no idea how you get into CMOS in your system. Most of the time pressing 'delete' during boot-up will work, although one of the F keys is sometimes used, 'F10' being the most frequent, IIRC. Check your manual, since your milage may vary.
Once into CMOS, wander around until you find a line for vido memory or something like that DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING FOR NOW. Once you find the vidoe line set it to 64M. If it won't go that high, you are fooked. like a crack ho on payday fooked. I had that happen to me and I had to buy a new video card. I'm not sure about notebooks, I have very little experience with them and that was restricted to crakin the passwords so the 'new owner' could use it. AFAIK, notebooks require special boards that you cannot pick up at the local compurt rebuilders shop for 5 bucks.
-Jessica Simpson