• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Who would have imagined???????
02-07-2007, 11:39 AM,
Thumbs_Up  Who would have imagined???????
I remember playing a war game back in the late 60's, maybe early 70's sponsered by an organization out of Phoenix, Arizona called, "Flying Buffalo".

You sent your moves in on a special card along with twenty five cents and they would run it on their computer and send you back the results.

We've come a long way since the $3000 Commador 64 :happy:

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2007, 11:08 AM,
RE: Who would have imagined???????
Here, here!!!

Mike
02-09-2007, 12:05 PM,
I did some research and discovered that "Flying Buffalo" is still in operation?????

It was actually 1970 or 71 when I was playing their mail game (Nuclear Destruction).

The founder was managing these contests by hand, but once he got enough people involved, he bought a Raytheon 704 minicomputer. His payments were $386 a month over the length of his 8 year contract!!!

His original computer had a 4K memory and when that wasn't enough, he purchased another 4K for $5000!!!

Pat

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

02-09-2007, 11:06 PM,
WOW!!!...a blast from the past! I certainly remember Flying Buffalo.

I hate to admit this, but I still have all of my war board games from the 50's, 60's, 70's & 80's.

Yeah I know...I'm a dinasaur!

Mike/Yossarian :smoke:
02-10-2007, 03:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2007, 04:03 AM by Fubar1.)
Geez, and I thought I was old rememebering my Commodore 128 for $1000.00 and tracking hundreds on inbound Russian missles on Strike Fleet (?)

I'm just a pup

Holy ICBM Batman! Eek It was Strike Fleet and Wikipedia has way too much info on this game...lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_Fleet