• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Really bad film...
06-07-2007, 04:12 AM,
RE: Really bad film...
"What! Inaccurate! :hissy: You mean the Battle of the Bulge wasn't really fought in the desert? I am crushed. :whis:"

Are you kidding me? Didn't you see Robert Shaw's blond hair and black uniform? Didn't you see those iron crosses painted on those American Army tanks? Who ever told you the Ardennes doesn't look like New Mexico? von ege Eek
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2007, 04:19 AM,
"I believe he's referring to the late Rock Hudson."

Are you guys for real? Rock Hudson gay? Haven't you ever seen him making out with Doris Day? von ege :cool2:
06-07-2007, 09:11 AM,
Green Berets had birch trees.
Send this user an email
06-07-2007, 10:14 AM,
This is a thread for BAD movies, start one up for good Movies and I'll put Das Boot in my list :)

Right along with Stalingrad, The Winter War & Sahara (the 1943 Bogart version)
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
06-10-2007, 11:55 AM,
Are you guys for real? Rock Hudson gay? Haven't you ever seen him making out with Doris Day? von ege

If YOU made out with Doris Day, You'd turn gay too. *humming "Que sera, sera"...Big Grin
07-26-2007, 06:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-26-2007, 06:35 AM by Mark W.)
Flyboys was okay for a non-historical type movie, basically something to watch with a date or wife if nothing else was playing. I believe my wife wanted to see it because of the main actor...

anyway,

Letters was a good movie, I have it on DVD, and should probably watch it again. I liked the large amount of Japanese equipment in the movie.

I liked Thin Red Line only because the fighting (which was sparse compared to the length of the movie) was well done. And I was tired of seeing every war film about the War in Europe.

Has anyone on here seen the German Film "Downfall?" Probably one of my favorite war films. Came out a few years ago. I think its German title is "Der Untergang."

I highly recommend it.

I've also been looking for a russian film that came out a few years ago about partisans behind German lines I believe. It was played here at a local small theatre but I missed the screening. Can't remember what the title was.
07-28-2007, 12:23 AM,
I've got Downfall. Bought it on Boxing Day last year, along with Jarhead, which was another pretty good film. They were in the 2 for $30 section at HMV so I figure that I got a great deal there.:thumbs_up:
Never heard of the partisan film that you mentioned. If it was, as you say, a Russian made film then it wouldn't attract much (if any) attention here in the West. People here know plenty about Operation Overlord (D-Day) but if you ask them about Operation Bagration (same time period) you're likely to get a blank look & a "What".
I didn't like The Thin Red Line as it just dragged on & on. Like you said, there was not enough combat action for the length of the movie.
The lead in Flyboys really needs to go back to acting class. He couldn't even keep his accent consistent through the movie. Obviously he was chosen strictly for his looks. I saw it in the reduced bin not very long after it went to dvd so that says something about the film's quality.
Memphis Belle was another stinker too. The lead in that film (can't remember his name off hand) delivered all of his lines in a dull, monotone voice. I don't remember him ever getting agitated during the whole film.
.."A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo." . Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe
07-28-2007, 01:14 AM,
the Russian film might be "Come and See" a bit edgy on the editing and acting but very different in style and portrayal of soviet partisans.
Worth having in your collection if you can pick it up at a discount price.

Here's my list of War movies :)

A Bridge Too Far
Alexander
Ambush
American Soldiers
Apocalypse Now Redux
Attack!
Band Of Brothers 7 Cds
Bat 21
Battle Of Britian
Behind Enemy Lines
Behind Enemy Lines II
Black Hawk Down
Blood Diamond
Braveheart
Casualties of War
Catch 22
Come and See
Conan the Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
Cross of Iron
Das Boot
DownFall
Empire of the Sun
Enemy at the Gates
Flags of our Fathers
Flight of the Intruder
Flyboys
Full Metal Jacket
Gettysburg
Gladiator
Glory
Gods and Generals
Hamburger Hill
Hart's War
Heartbreak Ridge
Hell is for Heros
Jarhead
Kelly's Heros
King Arthur
Kingdom of Heaven
Letters from Iwo Jima
Memphis Belle
Men Behind the Sun
Midway
Paths of Glory
Pearl Harbor
Pearl Harbor (2 CD documentary)
Platoon
Raid on Rommel
Rambo
Rambo II
Rambo III
Red Dawn
Run Silent Run Deep
Sahara
Saints and Soldiers
Sands of Iwo Jima
Saving Private Ryan
Snipers (Documentary)
Stalingrad
Starship Troopers
Starship Troopers 2
Stormtroopers (Documentary)
Straight into Darkness
Tae Guk Gi (The Brotherhood of War)
Tears of the Sun
The 300 Spartans
The Alamo
The Beast
The Bridge at Remegan
The Deer Hunter
The Eagle has Landed
The Final Countdown
The Great Escape
The Green Berets
The Last Drop
The Last of the Mohicans
The Last Samurai
The Lost Battalion
The Patriot
The Story of G I Joe
The Thin Red line
The Wild Geese
The Winter War
Three Kings
Tigerland
Tora Tora Tora
Troy
U-571
Uncommon Valor
Waterloo
We Were Soldiers
When Trumpets Fade
Where Eagles Dare
Windtalkers
Zulu
Zulu Dawn

Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard