• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question about S42 McNamara Scenarios
02-03-2007, 06:28 AM,
Question about S42 McNamara Scenarios
Hi,

I'm looking at the unit ratings in the SS rescue ALT scenario. I noticed that Russian regular inf/cav appears stronger in a number of ways than their Guards equivalents. I'm not sure why this would be. Can anyone explain?

Example:

Regulars Inf: Hard: 1/0, Soft 5/1, Assult: 10
Guards Inf: Hard: 4/0, Soft: 4/1, Assault: 9

Thanks!
Fury

Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2007, 05:13 AM,
RE: Question about S42 McNamara Scenarios
Actually, the ratings are just about even because of the differences. The trade off was that the guards infantry have a higher resistence to armored attacks against them at the trade off of some SA and assault strength (of differences in weapon type allocation).

On the other hand, you should also notice that all Guards units are rated higher than regulars (in ALT senarios) which actually makes them more effective than the regular troops in all regards.
Send this user an email
02-04-2007, 05:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-04-2007, 05:34 AM by Volcano Man.)
I should add, FWIW, that this changes in 1943:

Regulars Inf: Hard: 2/0, Soft 4/1, Assault: 9
Guards Inf: Hard: 5/0, Soft: 6/1, Assault: 10
Send this user an email
02-04-2007, 05:32 AM,
Thanks for the reply. A couple follow-ups if I may. What are the meaning of these designations:

42 Rifle Bn -(40)
42 Rifle Bn -(40)w
42 Rifle Bn -(80)
42 Rifle Bn -(80)w

Also, could you direct me to a Russian SMG unit? I'm looking at the SS rescue variant (hth). I've spent quite a bit of time looking for them, but didn't see any. They sound pretty important based upon your write-up in the notes file.

Thanks!
Fury
02-04-2007, 05:41 AM,
In regards to the - (40) and - (80), I cannot say conclusively since it is something done in the stock game; but if I had to make an educated guess it would be that they are identifiers given to make seperate components because their strengths are different. It looks like (40) might refer to 40% strength and (80) as 80% strength for the battalion.

It is well known that soviet infantry units at this stage were often kept at low compliment and strength levels because of their poor personnel branch (replacements were not forth coming as they tended to just create a new division instead). The "w" is an indetifier just denote that it is a winter unit, and thus has a winter portrait, and nothing more.

The SMG units are all located in the tank brigades. The motorized infantry brigades have regular motorized infantry, but the tank brigades had strictly one SMG battalion designed to be used for assaults with the armor. Search for component "Rifle Bn (Tk Bde)", I think.
Send this user an email
02-04-2007, 05:44 AM,
Also, the regular SMG units are component "Mot Rifle Bn", but they are located in the tank brigades (their non SMG Mot Rifle Bns have a different name). One day I might change the label to SMG Bn but I didn't do it at the time for the sake of simplicity on my part.
Send this user an email
02-04-2007, 06:24 AM,
Those units look cool...thanks. I notice they have 0 hard attack value, which means they cannot effect units in bunkers or pill boxes at all (with alternate assualt on -- sort of strange that the game allows the assault anyway with 0 strength, it won't for direct fire). Anyway, is this the desired effect? Seems like these units should be pretty good in that role.

I'm prepping for a team game using this OOB and I'm trying to understand how the Russians are going to get past the bunkers and pillboxes. With artillery ineffective and no inf direct fire, I guess regimental level+ assault on these positions is the only way, perhaps supported by some direct fire by tanks and AT guns.

Fury
02-04-2007, 09:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-04-2007, 09:18 AM by Volcano Man.)
Send this user an email
02-04-2007, 09:17 AM,
Actually, it is fairly simple to get through bunkers just unlearn what you know right now. Basically, the best weapon against bunkers has always been armor. With McNamara based db you will find that using your T-34s on bunkers will get them disrupted nicely enough for an infantry assault to push them out. Will you suffer casualties with the infantry assault? Yes, but this is desired, the main goal is to just force them out of the bunkers where they can be dealt with with artillery and everything else available.

Again, a viable strategy is to hit a bunker with the tanks to disrupt, then do a combined SMG and tank assault. Or, hit with the tanks, push them out with the regular and expendable grunts then, when they are vacated, follow up with a crushing assault with an SMG battalion the enemy is fleeing in the open.

I have found that the enemy will often voluntarily vacate a bunker if you subject it to enough hard attack power from tanks. But then again it all comes down to how much time you can spend on the task. If you do not have the time to spare then you will have to make a trade off in casualties after you disrupt them. If you have the time to spare then pound them into submission with armor, and the heaviest artillery available.
Send this user an email