• Downloads

Gamey?
02-01-2007, 02:52 PM,
RE: Gamey?
"Kornie"
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2007, 03:05 PM,
I posted this earlier, but for some reason it never appeared...

I guess from reading these posts I am a "gamey" player. I use small, cheap units (PTRD teams, sharpshooters) to scout. I'm not above placing a MG team in a Jeep and racing to a spot far ahead of my main body to slow down the opponent. And although I've never used conscript FO's to place a turn 1 barrage on the opponents setup area, I think it's a great idea.

I play this game (primarily) because of it's realistic feel and modeling. I also play it because it's my favorite GAME. Unless parameters are agreed upon from the beginning to use only realistic units/tactics, everthing else should be fair game. Otherwise, why a choice to select rarity on/off?

Just my two cents worth. Great thread, BTW.

Mike
02-01-2007, 03:12 PM,
"Kornie"
02-01-2007, 03:15 PM,
Your barrage was a little off-mark. You (apparently) set it for the center of my side of the map. You now know I am coming up the side. Oops, another gamey aspect according to some.

And yep, the killing of Fascists will continue...
02-01-2007, 03:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-01-2007, 03:28 PM by Larry Thorne (FGM).)
"Kornie"
02-01-2007, 04:41 PM,
I think that within a game, as has been stated above, that nothing is really gamey. If you don't want some things to happen, tell yur opponent before the game begins so you both are aware of the "rules" of the game you are about to play. There are lots of things in the game that i do not do of my own choice, i do not care if my opponent follows my lead or not, I usually mention them before play begins but not always. I never select enemy units for information, I never manually target with units that are outside HQ command including armor and guns/mortars, "detailed hits" option off to name a few. The one thing that I like about CM is the fact that I can go in and remove the so called gameyness(things that I find gamey) from my play and my opponent can perform everything mentioned in this thread and more and it does not lessen the experience of the battle for either party. What other game can a history buff take on someone who could care less about historical accuracies and play a battle that is entertaining and fun for both involved.
02-01-2007, 05:56 PM,
People call this a game, which it is. However it can also be viewed as a simulation.

Tactics that are overtly "gamey" e.g. that rely on the game engine for success yet would have either failed totaly or never occured in reality break my immersion in the "game" and thus impact my enjoyment of playing. I just find them cheesey.

What makes CM stand out is its simulation aspect, if I wanted to play something more gamey I could pick one of a hundred RTS's of the shelf. This is why I greatly prefer CMBB and AK over BO.

On a total tangent, I would also add that going up the map edge carries its own risks, e.g. units reversing or routing of the map edge never to return.

02-01-2007, 08:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-01-2007, 08:36 PM by Fubar.)
The only thing that burns my butter is when your supposed to be playing a scenario blind and on that first turn your opponent hits your single setup zone with every arty piece they have and drive their units at fast speed into the undefended areas of your line. Have they taken a peek at their opponents setup turn?

Well i'm not gonna say....maybe they're a CM genius. :whis:

Yes i know you can redeploy rather than stick to the default setup but some scenarios don't give you much choice but to stick with what they give you. :hissy:

Other than possibly cheating at scenarios i don't really find anything else off limits. As others have said you should be ready for anything in this game.

cheers
02-01-2007, 10:45 PM,
Havent experienced much of the game yet but im in it for the enjoyment factor of a good battle win or lose . I enjoy the graphics, the units as they move about and having a fair duel. I suppose some scenarios with bigger maps and arty that only arrives as reinforcements solves some of above mentioned griefs.

cheers
02-01-2007, 11:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-01-2007, 11:36 PM by Soldier.)
RE:��Gamey?