• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Top Ten PBEM Mistakes
01-29-2007, 04:17 PM,
RE: Top Ten PBEM Mistakes
Grumbler Wrote:
Tiger_Reyth Wrote:Footnote Addendum:

"One day a Tiger Royal tank got within 150 yards of my tank and knocked me out. Five of our tanks opened up on him from ranges of 200 to 600 yards and got five or six hits on the front of the Tiger. They all just glanced off and the Tiger backed off and got away. If we had a tank like Tiger, we would all be home today." - Report by tank commander Sergeant Clyde D. Brunson from 2nd Armored Division, 1945.

T_R

Not to rain on your parade, but they lost.

War of economics, nothing to do with the equipment in question. You can't deny that the Tiger was quite a piece of machinery and superior to any tank when introduced.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2007, 05:05 PM,
Actually, I can. I think the JS-II and 3 series were better tanks. If you are just interested in big guns and thick armor, then you need a costal fortress.
2 meters of concrete backing 25mm of armor with a 400mm gun. That beats the King Tiger and is almost as mobile. The Jadpanther was a MUCH better weapon. The real winner would have been the Panther II with IR vision and the 88. Glad that never went into production. I could also argue that the M-26 was a better tank.
MBT's about mobility. Firepower is second, armor third. Reliability would be 4th with cost 5th. Or at least that is how the IDF figures it. Note that mobility is 'battlefield mobility' not how fast the thing will go.
The real contribution to tank development by the Nazi's was the 3 man turret and a radio in every tank. The biggest problem with the later Soviet designs is they got away from the 3 man turret. That 3rd crewman is more then just a loader. If you want to put in an auto loader, don't take out the 3rd man in the turret.
I think that the tank designs of the future will have an EW operator in the turret. Somebody to control all the parasite tanks and look at the EW battlespace. Each MBT will have 2 or 3 unmanned tanks operating with it , as well as a pair of UAV's . I think they will be armed with Lasers and SAM's as well as a main gun.
Grumman just opened a production line for building soild state LASERs. They will be installed in aircraft and on ships as anti missile systems. If you can put it on a helio, you can put it on a MBT.
"I totally don't know what that means, but I WHOUNT it!"
-Jessica Simpson
01-29-2007, 05:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-29-2007, 05:40 PM by Vesku.)
And neither was built in -42. Which tank built in late 42 is superior to Tiger?
Vesku

01-29-2007, 05:58 PM,
My bad, I thought your speaking about the Konig Tiger. Two different animals.
"I totally don't know what that means, but I WHOUNT it!"
-Jessica Simpson
01-29-2007, 06:25 PM,
Agreed, Tiger II was too slow and plagued by mechanical failures. Panther II would be my favorite for a best tank of WWII ... if it was ever built :). Did you know that Germans had low light vision in some Panthers in Dec -44, too little too late though. And this has nothing to do with the PBEM mistakes, sorry.
Vesku

01-29-2007, 06:51 PM,
Yes, but don't forget he also posted a footnote ;)

T_R
The Koenigstiger was the most powerful combat tank of World War II combining a powerful and effective gun with armor that was virtually impervious to any Allied tank or anti-tank gun. The result was battlefield history! -- George Parada