• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New discussion: What was your first computer?
01-26-2007, 03:26 PM,
RE: New discussion:��What was your first computer?
Isn't Steel Panthers kind of "retro" anyway? I mean most gamers are playing 1st person perspective 3-D wargames, right?

I think hardcore SP gamers like it because it provides superior gameplay with enough graphics and sound effects to really enhance that gameplay instead of take from it.

I mean I'm sick of games with shockingly good graphics and gameplay that becomes so simplistic with AI as dumb as rocks... @.@

T_R
The Koenigstiger was the most powerful combat tank of World War II combining a powerful and effective gun with armor that was virtually impervious to any Allied tank or anti-tank gun. The result was battlefield history! -- George Parada
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2007, 03:48 PM,
FPS's are so boooooring. Plus as you get older and you eyesight gets worse and your reflexs go in the shitter, games where you have time to squint at the screen and figure out just what those little squiggles are become more interesting. There are no AI's worth playing. Period. The first guy that can do an AI that can beat a human without cheating (level playing field, with the AI and the HI having the same data set) will make billions from the US Military. There are people working on it as we sit here and type. The US military already has robots doing combat missions. They need humans to watch over them. Politicians would love to have robats they could send into combat instead of voters children. That don't need a van full of technicians and a data link to make them work. I bring this up because SP is the best way us elderly gentlemen can fight each other in a humane and civilized manner. It's MUCH more interesting then Chess and doesn't require the reflex times of Ghost Recon or Doom ( I know It's old, but it was my favorite shooter back in the day).
"I totally don't know what that means, but I WHOUNT it!"
-Jessica Simpson
01-26-2007, 03:55 PM,
RE: New discussion: What was your first computer?
wulfir Wrote:Commadore C-64

I don't know anything about specs, never was much of a computer wizard.

Had a myriad of games, all pretty simple really...

...Outrun, Le Mans, Eagle's Nest, Who Dares Dies, Giana Sisters, ACE, Hawk, Harrier, Operation Wolf, Platoon and a crapload of stuff I can't remember.

...haha 1988, those were the days... cheers

OH YEAH!!! My kind of man .... or a loser like me, what ever :) Same piece of crap at the same time
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
01-26-2007, 11:12 PM,
My first computer was Schneider CPC 6128 with 128 kB Ram and built-in FDD drive. It used very unusual 3 in floppy disks. I had a couple of good games like Ikari Warriors, Fighter Pilot, Flying Shark and good WW2 strategy game titled either Arnhem or The Bridge Too Far- I can't remember exactly but I exactly remember nights spent on playing it :-)
01-27-2007, 05:28 AM,
Grumbler Wrote:FPS's are so boooooring. Plus as you get older and you eyesight gets worse and your reflexs go in the shitter, games where you have time to squint at the screen and figure out just what those little squiggles are become more interesting. There are no AI's worth playing. Period. The first guy that can do an AI that can beat a human without cheating (level playing field, with the AI and the HI having the same data set) will make billions from the US Military. There are people working on it as we sit here and type. The US military already has robots doing combat missions. They need humans to watch over them. Politicians would love to have robats they could send into combat instead of voters children. That don't need a van full of technicians and a data link to make them work. I bring this up because SP is the best way us elderly gentlemen can fight each other in a humane and civilized manner. It's MUCH more interesting then Chess and doesn't require the reflex times of Ghost Recon or Doom ( I know It's old, but it was my favorite shooter back in the day).

I know there was a company out there that was trying to create a learning AI for a game called ROAD TO MOSCOW. The game was regimental or division level I believe. The computer had a set of tactics, but it would also learn from the human what worked and save those strategies for next time for it to use. That would have been a cool game. Unfortunetly it never got past the BETA stage.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
01-27-2007, 07:29 AM,
Mayb the developers live in Arlington now, driving their gold plated SUV's back and forth to the Pentagon.
-Jessica Simpson
01-27-2007, 08:24 AM,
Does a slide rule count?
01-27-2007, 10:05 AM,
shortreengage Wrote:Does a slide rule count?

Yes, if you know how to use itBig Grin
-Jessica Simpson
01-27-2007, 12:24 PM,
Ya I think the AI industry calls those "neural networks" so the AI keeps track of stuff and gets better. I think it's been largely a myth because I've never heard of a game that actually manifested it.

Hey how about an abacus?

T_R
The Koenigstiger was the most powerful combat tank of World War II combining a powerful and effective gun with armor that was virtually impervious to any Allied tank or anti-tank gun. The result was battlefield history! -- George Parada
01-27-2007, 12:52 PM,
http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/58778.html

Chisanbop. You have a computer in your pocket, playing pool. It doesn't need batteries either.
-Jessica Simpson