• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New discussion: What was your first computer?
01-26-2007, 07:08 AM,
RE: New discussion: What was your first computer?
This started me thinking of my old ZX81, i just found a website on it. Eek

http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/computers/zx81/zx81.htm

Now thats a beast of a machine. :whis:

cheers
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2007, 07:23 AM,
RE: New discussion:��What was your first computer?
Commadore C-64

I don't know anything about specs, never was much of a computer wizard.

Had a myriad of games, all pretty simple really...

...Outrun, Le Mans, Eagle's Nest, Who Dares Dies, Giana Sisters, ACE, Hawk, Harrier, Operation Wolf, Platoon and a crapload of stuff I can't remember.

...haha 1988, those were the days... cheers
01-26-2007, 08:31 AM,
Ya I had the Sinclair ZX80 I bought a 16K RAM upgrade cartridge for it.

Then I had the VIC-20 (Commodore)

And then the C-64

I had my eyes on the Amiga but I was priced out!

T_R
The Koenigstiger was the most powerful combat tank of World War II combining a powerful and effective gun with armor that was virtually impervious to any Allied tank or anti-tank gun. The result was battlefield history! -- George Parada
01-26-2007, 09:08 AM,
My first was a 9.54 MHz Intel 8086, with a 30 meg hard disk, two 5.25in floppy drives and, get this, an expensive EGA monitor that could actualy display SIXTEEN colours all at once! I was envied :) I was even more envied becuase most PC's at that time only went 4.77Mhz with a 20 meg disk or less.

Course a year later a mate had a 286 with a VGA screen. Bah!

Best game I had for it was Gunship, the Apache sim from, I think, Microprose. I played that game forever. Also enjoyed Red Lightning, which was an SSI brigade & division level sim of a Warsaw Pact invasion.
01-26-2007, 09:14 AM,
I forget the nominclature, but it was the fire contol computer out of an A-6 bomber. I helped 'salvaged' it out of a spare parts bird (aka hanger queen). I remember that it was a rotary drum computer that used relays about the size of a matchbox. It had 128 (64?) of them and read 'programs' off a punched tape. The approved debugging routine involved a kick in the side when you heard a relay stick. I think I helped salvage it to try and figure out a way to win at keno. Not to sure about that, but I do remember that it seemed like a good idea at the time
"I totally don't know what that means, but I WHOUNT it!"
-Jessica Simpson
01-26-2007, 09:45 AM,
Omgosh you must fart dust!

LOL sorry just thought I would joke at your expense, nothing personal!

LOL

No really that's amazing. Truly an amazing feat to actually salvage it as well. Were you able to use it for anything?

T_R
The Koenigstiger was the most powerful combat tank of World War II combining a powerful and effective gun with armor that was virtually impervious to any Allied tank or anti-tank gun. The result was battlefield history! -- George Parada
01-26-2007, 11:15 AM,
More like mud. No, w never did get it to do right. Lost interest and took it back. Did get it powered up, which was a no small feat in and of itself.
Yep, I'll be old enough to collect Social Security here in a few more months.
I doubt that I can, but it will at least keep friends and relatives from bugging me about getting a job. Southern belles have this quaint notion that men are supposed to work until they drop dead and leve the belle their money. My not going with that program makes me an oddball. It's scares the 'ell out of my sister in Laws. They worry it's something genetic.
"I totally don't know what that means, but I WHOUNT it!"
-Jessica Simpson
01-26-2007, 12:27 PM,
lmao hilarious!

T_R
01-26-2007, 01:22 PM,
Hmm, first computer?

Does it have to be electronic? first thing I owned that was labled a computer was when I was 14 and started attending ground school for a private pilot's license.. we had a flight 'computer' that we used to calculate wind drift corrections, fuel consumption, time/distance (ETA) numbers, flight plan planning - you know -that sort of stuff

Otherwise, mt first electronic device was a Royal calculator.. cost $100 in 1971 (?) - in 2007 bucks probably about as much as I spent to build my home PC..

-Greybeard
01-26-2007, 02:51 PM,
Remember how cool we thought the games were for these wizard computers? I guess in 20 years we will think how primitive MBT is.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha