• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Why Combat Mission?
01-15-2007, 06:24 AM,
Why Combat Mission?
Why does CM enthrall us so much?

I personally have played over 650 games, as has Phil Davies and Antoni ahs just hit 500. I dont know about them but Im still playing happily away despite having played so many battles it doesnt bear thinking about in the last 4 or 5 years.

CM is as fresh to me now as it was when it was released. Is it the game... or is it the fact that we all are intrigued with WW2 and this lets us play out our boyhood dreams of driving round in Tigers etc..? Aan extension to our hobby so to say).

Why do you think CM has stood the test of time and most likely will continue to do so.

Bootie
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2007, 08:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2007, 08:26 AM by Fubar.)
RE: Why Combat Mission?
It was my interest in all things WW2 that lead me into playing CM but the game has such depth that a player of any skill level can get into it with out to much trouble and nearly every game you play teaches you something new. In my case usually how to blow up in flames, unless of course i'm playing against Bootie who is armed with nothing more than green US infantry and hiding like rabbits in the fog. ;)

Be vewy vewy qwiet little bunny...

cheers
01-15-2007, 09:31 AM,
I originally found this game looking for a follow-up for the Close Combat series, which I loved. Mostly an interest in WWII. But the replayability due to PBEM and ever-emerging new scenarios keeps this game fresh and exciting. Here's hoping CMC isn't vaporware. That could easily add years to CMBB and CMAK.
01-15-2007, 10:11 AM,
I hard to for me to tell everybody why this is the game for me.
I play and have played many war games, but the one thing I really look for is how real can you get to what really happened in WWII or any war.
Im a control freak when it comes to wargames. I want to control everything like how many tanks I want to send into a town to how much toilet paper one of my men use behind the tree.:)
My interest is almost in all the wars fought but mainly WWII.
I have been playing this game close to three years now and I still love it. Im going to start playing WITP soon, im still learning how to play it because it's a really in depth gameBig Grin
01-15-2007, 11:17 AM,
I am an old tabletop leadhead wargamer and as i get older i find that time and people to play are scarce, plus a 1 1/2 year old toodler and little figures are a bad mix. CM has all the feel of tabletop and opponents are plentiful. It is the right scale for me as well, skirmish size games do nothing for me as do the grand strategy types. Top it all, the community here is top notch.
01-15-2007, 10:06 PM,
I love the history of WW II, and like Ratzki I am an old wargamer but if the paper counter crowd, "Panzer Blitz" and "Panzer Leader" got me into the tactical side of wargaming. Before Combat Mission I was playing a lot of Steel Panthers, and a friend told me to try the free demo of CM. I tried it and was amazed by the cool graphics and realism, I thought they did it, a great looking game that plays and feels "right". I loved the "WeGO" system of play, much better than turns. I have not played a single Steel Panthers game again, not one, SP is more like a game, CM is more like war. I have a friend who still playes SP and likes it, but for me, CM is the ultimate tactical simulator going. CM is the single best tactical model I have ever found, very good realism. Unlike KTN I am not a control freak, and sometimes that hurts me in this game, and that is why I LOVE to play this game TCIP with time limates. Very intense and you cannot be a control freak then, you have to make decisions and make them fast, just like as real Commander has to. Will Combat Mission last forever, I don't think so, there will be better someday, maybe Shock Force is the next level, maybe not. I just know for now, if you like tactical wargaming, then look no futher than Combat Mission, it is the best. I also wish and hope for CMC to come out, but it is not looking good.

As for WITP it is the reason I took a break from playing CM for eight months, it is a very good game, lots of depth, and a great Stratigic Wargame, with a lots of Operational flavor and decision making. I HIGHLY recommend it. It is another game I would have never played, but for the same friend said "you need to try this", to which I said "Man, I am into the European Front, and East Front at that, I don't want to Island Hop." But I gave it a try, he was right again, WITP is a great game, very good. It is just the opposite of CM in a lot of ways, different, you will see if you play it.

Last note my friend recommended I try Matrix's CONQUEST OF THE AEGEAN, and I read several reviews, and it sounds very realistic, it may be the ultimate in Company/Battalion/Regiment level wargaming. I will let you know I get it in a week.
01-15-2007, 10:33 PM,
Quote:Last note my friend recommended I try Matrix's CONQUEST OF THE AEGEAN, and I read several reviews, and it sounds very realistic, it may be the ultimate in Company/Battalion/Regiment level wargaming. I will let you know I get it in a week.

I have the prequel to this game Highway to the Reich, which is indeed an excellent game.I consider the game engine which COTA improves on to be the best arm chair general simulator by some distance.

I have held of buying COTA because I am not that enthused by the the theatre and time frame. The next game/theatre the engine will be used for is the battle of the bulge and then I believe the Ost front.

I will get those games in an instant.
01-15-2007, 11:03 PM,
I'm also and old tabletop gamer, i played the big ones. longest day, fire in the east and scortched earth. theses games took months to finish. they had over 2300 counters and of couse ASL. The only thing that CM is missing is that Kodak moment, that special look that only table top guys can appreciate. when you kill that stack of SS panzers in that desperate 3-1 counter attack. Or when some Partisan with a captured faust kills that tiger. Yea man those looks were and will always be priceless.

Walkurecheers
01-15-2007, 11:17 PM,
Quote:The only thing that CM is missing is that Kodak moment,

TCP/IP+web cam
01-15-2007, 11:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-16-2007, 03:50 AM by Soldier.)
For me it's the ability to micro manage my troops. The fact that they don't always obey my orders is a bit aggravating, but realistic and thus acceptable.
The 3D environment is excellent. Ability to watch your orders being carried out in movie like fashion is the creme on top of the cake.. :-)
And lastly, without the "We go" Principle, the game wouldn't be the Stand Out game that it is today.