• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bridge Building tricks
12-30-2006, 04:15 PM,
RE:��Bridge Building tricks
Dog Soldier Wrote:I think the idea of the engineers having to stay and maintain the bridge in the WW2 period is reasonable.

Ya - I figure it works pretty good, but some folks would likely think the Division should be allocated a variable amount of linear feet of foot, and mot bridges with some bridges, using double the cost being rated for tanks. And interesting idea too but one which would only add complexity to a game system which was not intended for that level of detail.

Glenn
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2006, 05:16 AM,
RE: Bridge Building tricks
With a treadway (pontoon) bridge I can certainly understand an engineer needing to hang out at the bridge to keep it maintained.

But, if a bridge is repaired sufficient for trucks and tanks to cross, why would an engineer company (as the smallest unit) be required to stay with a permanent structure ... aka, repaired bridge?

Now, if PzC's engineers are not repairing bridges then my argument is moot.

THis is why I ask the question: When engineers initiate "bridge ops" on a hex side where there's a damaged bridge, what is being done? Is the bridge being repaired or is a pontoon bridge being constructed?

just a question I've wondered about for quite some time

12-31-2006, 05:33 AM,
In case of the Bulge the heavy bridges that were build from scratch (for example Roth and Gentingen) needed permanent maintenance. In case of let's say a Bailey bridge it seems less likely that permanent maintenance was necessary...
12-31-2006, 07:43 AM,
Huib Wrote:In case of the Bulge the heavy bridges that were build from scratch (for example Roth and Gentingen) needed permanent maintenance. In case of let's say a Bailey bridge it seems less likely that permanent maintenance was necessary...

I would argue that most bridges made by engineers need some form of constant maintenance. I've seen bridge engineers in action and there was a thousand things to do for them, even long after the bridge was up. They ran around, improving the bridge, fixing things that was broke or inadequate. And as for a Bailey bridge: one small error in calculation and the bridge could break on the middle when heavy vehicles passed over, so someone better stay with the construction and operate it.

Regards,

//Engelbrekt
12-31-2006, 07:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-31-2006, 07:46 AM by Engelbrekt.)
double post
12-31-2006, 11:20 AM,
I can see the light now. All I needed was some input.

It appears PzC's won't repair bridges only build new ones. I've had engineers sit for days and days in a hex building something. Bailey, Treadway, pontoon ... who knows. Some of the hexes had damaged bridges on a hex side where I told the engineer to initiate bridge ops. I had some fantasy they were repairing a bridge. Now I know.

Thanks for the input.
01-02-2007, 06:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2007, 06:24 AM by JonS1.)
01-04-2007, 01:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2007, 01:21 AM by Hank.)
01-04-2007, 02:05 AM,
RE:��Bridge Building tricks
Hank Wrote:I think the reason I brought this up is because in some sce's you don't have enough engineers to build/repair the bridges you need to keep your line of supply open toward the rear areas.

This sounds like a scn design issue to me Hank and I have not heard of any - not that it isn't a possible problem.

However, if you email a BTL\BTE file to HPS Support which illustrate the scn in question and the lack of Bridge Eng, we can certainly take a look at it and get the situation corrected.

*** NOTE *** if the game in question has not been patched yet in this round of updates, please sent this example soonest so we can review it BEFORE the game is updated.

Thanks
Glenn
Send this user an email
01-04-2007, 07:36 PM,
Glenn

I do think that Normandy suffers (camp game and the US link up games) from too few allied bridge units. If the Germans can blow the bridges around Cartien (sp) they will delay the allies for ages. I would have thought that each allied inf Div had a bridging capacity but I am no expert.

No others came to mind at the moment

Mike