• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bridge Building tricks
12-24-2006, 06:56 AM,
RE: Bridge Building tricks
Actually, I would say Glenn's presentation is correct. He didn't say there would be a 90% chance on the 6th turn, but that over the course of 6 turns, with 30% chance per turn, around 90% of the time it will happen within 6 turns. Specifically there is an 11.76% chance of NOT succeeding after 6 turns at 30% per turn. Of course each turn is only 30%, I don't see Glenn saying otherwise?

As to the chance each turn climbing, that would make total sense if it is purely a time involved job being carried out. But a lot of the bridging in these games is more related to gathering the items needed to build the bridge, as you say above many of the "rivers" are quite small and can be bridged quickly, it is getting things there at the site to actually build a bridge.

Looking at Market Garden near Arnhem, how long did it take to get a bridge over the British 1st Paras? That was one where it wasn't going to happen in a week of trying, based on the situation. Since units can always be ferried across, I think that covers the small foot bridges which couldn't be used for much in the way of supply and with the latest supply rules through an engineer across the river is replicated pretty well.

Merry Christmas all.
Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
Quote this message in a reply
12-24-2006, 10:10 AM,
Running the numbers with 10 sided die.
At 30% you have twice the chance of completing the bridge on turn One as you would on turns 2-4, and thrice the chance of turn 5. You are more likely to complete the bridge on turn one than Any other turn. Only a 25% chance of it taking more than five turns.
It would seem that if you want to increase the odds for engineers on subsequent turns, you should Decrease the odds on turn one.
600 BauPionieren were getting bad dice rolls (historicly) trying to get the Panzers rolling to Marnach.
I dont suggest changing dice roll percentages, and engineer proficiency can be altered with the pdt file. I DO suggest having engineers with varying (class 1,2 or 3) bridge building capability. This would solve the whole problem.
12-24-2006, 10:28 AM,
RE: Running the numbers with 10 sided die.
12-24-2006, 05:25 PM,
If there was only one rule in game design it would no doubt be: the more complex a solution, the least likley to implement.

I think some of us are being a bit too nit picky. It makes perfect sense to simply reduce the ability of company sized units to 1/3 the chance to construct a bridge without overcomplicating things.
Send this user an email
12-25-2006, 01:51 AM,
RE:��Bridge Building tricks
12-26-2006, 02:12 PM,
Huib,
I agree with your commentary, and my solution to the problem has been mentioned Twice in this thread. Need I repeat?
WB
...p.s. Gotta luv an old can of worms every once in a while...LoL...I can Hope.
12-26-2006, 05:57 PM,
"I wish this thread was never brought up....
The change proposal even in it's simplicity is certainly not an improvement."

Yeah, me too. I'm really sorry I brought it up. I too would like it left alone. von Egan Eek
12-27-2006, 12:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-27-2006, 12:39 AM by Hank.)
12-27-2006, 12:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-27-2006, 01:31 AM by Volcano Man.)
Send this user an email
12-27-2006, 03:04 AM,
It seems that some believe it should take a fixed number of turns to build/repair a bridge. Perhaps an "A" unit should take 5 turns to build a bridge, a "B" unit 10, a "C" unit 15 & so forth. Of course, this would take the randomness out of the situation which, for many, is part of the fun of the game.