• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question for Glenn re Detached Units / Artillery / Railroad movement queries
12-13-2006, 11:00 PM,
Question for Glenn re Detached Units / Artillery / Railroad movement queries
Hi Glenn

I like the recent changes to the system made in Minsk, and the recent patches issued - a couple of clarifications if you can please.

As I understand the new detached units rules, then arty that fires on an enemy unit which is spotted by a detached unit, is halved in strength - but....

What is the effect on the artys firing strength when the unit spotting is not detached but the arty unit is detached?

And.... if the spotting unit starts the turn detached, but then moves within command range prior to the supporting artillery firing, is the arty fire still halved?

On railways - previously, to change into, or out of Rail Mode, used the entire unit movement allowance, this seems to have changed to 2/3rds - is this correct?

Thanks

Chris
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2006, 04:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-14-2006, 04:58 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
RE: Question for Glenn re Detached Units / Artillery / Railroad movement queries
Hadge Wrote:What is the effect on the artys firing strength when the unit spotting is not detached but the arty unit is detached?

I don't know - I don't thik this is covered by the rule so I assume the fire would be normal - but I would need to have a game file to be sure.

Quote: And.... if the spotting unit starts the turn detached, but then moves within command range prior to the supporting artillery firing, is the arty fire still halved?

I think you'll find that detached status is determined at the start of your turn and if you move a detached unit back into command range it is still deemed detached until the start of the next turn.

Quote: On railways - previously, to change into, or out of Rail Mode, used the entire unit movement allowance, this seems to have changed to 2/3rds - is this correct?

IU just check the cost to change out of Rail to normal mode and the cost was all MPs - this was in a new Exe for a game I have in development so I gues I am not seeing the same thing as you which is why it is best to evaluate things while looking at the same file.

Glenn
Send this user an email
12-14-2006, 05:41 AM,
RE: Question for Glenn re Detached Units / Artillery / Railroad movement queries
If Chris does not mind me joining the thread, with reference to the new rules they state that a unit "Patrolling" has 3/4 assault value, is that both in attack and defence or just one of them??

I must say the new batch of rules are an excellent addition to the games, well done! cheers
12-14-2006, 07:13 AM,
RE:��Question for Glenn re Detached Units / Artillery / Railroad movement queries
Foul. Wrote:... with reference to the new rules they state that a unit "Patrolling" has 3/4 assault value, is that both in attack and defence or just one of them??

Off hand I don't know - nor would I let this enter into my gaming decision of whether to Patrol or not. In an Assault situation The Assault value of one unit is compared to the Defense of the other. This calculation is done for the phasing and non phasing player with the results being compared to determine which side retains the hex. If I had to guess I would say the Assault Value means the Assault value and it doesn't matter who is attacking and defedning.

That said, to check this I would you should turn OFF "On Map Result" and setup a test scn with the same unit involved from both attack and defense and record the values in the combat details box. This should confirm how it works for those that are interested in the math aspects of the game.

Glenn

Send this user an email
12-14-2006, 08:39 AM,
Glenn,
Thanks for that, any idea if units toggled "patrolling" would be considered to have moved in respect of fatigue??

In other words can you recover from fatigue while in "patrolling" mode??

Regards,
Darran.
12-14-2006, 09:37 AM,
RE:��Question for Glenn re Detached Units / Artillery / Railroad movement queries
Foul. Wrote:Glenn,
Thanks for that, any idea if units toggled "patrolling" would be considered to have moved in respect of fatigue??

In other words can you recover from fatigue while in "patrolling" mode??

I suspect it would be handled like any action such as Digging in or Mine Clearing\Bridge Operations (for Engineers).

Glenn
Send this user an email
12-14-2006, 04:59 PM,