• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

277 VGD B44 info for custom scn designers
11-28-2006, 07:20 PM,
277 VGD B44 info for custom scn designers
I just read some interesting comments about this division from Ia Von Wangenheim about the division's performance in the Bulge.

"Das Miszlingen hat bestimmt nicht am mangelnden Kampfeswillen unserer Division gelegen. In dieser Zeit war die Division noch sehr gut, auch ausgeruestet. Wenn General Viebig seine Division als "zur Abwehr bedingt geeignet" beurteilt hat, bezieht sich diese Einschaetzung auf die spДteren Wochen, als unseren schweren Verluste durch ueberfluesssig gewordene Luftwaffen- und Marineangehoerige aufgefuellt waren und diese z.T. nicht die geringste Lust hatten als Infanterist zu kaempfen.
Unser Unglueck war, dass vor dem Angriff kein einziger Fuehrer oder Stosstrupp auch nur ein einziges Mal in das vor uns liegende, feindbesetzte Waldgelaende hatte hineinschauen duerfen. Nicht einmal ein Luftbild stand zur Verfuegung."

Short summary in english: The 277 VGD was a very good division before the losses suffered in the opening days of the Bulge.

I'm sure that, like me, most historians/ scn designers always thought the 277VGD was one of the lesser quality units. Apparently there is no justification for that view at least during the opening stages of the battle of the Bulge.

source: Scherer, W., Die letzte Schlacht-Eifelfront und Ardennenoffensive 1944/45 Rueckzug an und hinter den Rhein. Zeitzeugen berichten. ISBN 3-933608-95-3.

Huib
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2006, 02:26 PM,
Ich kann Deutsch lesen
What is the Date when 277 VG was fully up to strength according to your source? Jung says 80% but full div arty for Bulge. Parker says destroyed at Falaise, and 1000 vets, but Alsacian recruits not the best.

Reading memoirs is always interesting. Poor historical record from shirkers and cowards, lots of remininicences, perhaps inflated from those who claim to be heroes. (Still want to read a memoir frome One of the 10,000 German deserters at Ligny, 1815).
11-29-2006, 06:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-29-2006, 07:16 PM by Huib Versloot.)
RE: 277 VGD B44 info for custom scn designers
Unfortunately the book doesn't give any info about the strength numbers. Dupuy gives about the same % as Parker and I don't know if the division was ever brought up to "soll" strength later when the Marine and Luftwaffe replacements came in.
The book mostly deals with the everyday life of individual soldiers (of which no one claims to be a hero :) ) within this division in this period.

Another good example of extensive info on a lesser known division is this website:

http://62vgd.de

Huib