• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Aint gonna hurt nobody!
11-03-2006, 02:16 PM,
RE: Aint gonna hurt nobody!
In round one, my marines had no chance against the yellow hoard. My stuarts were easily crushed and my mortars only slowed them. I had plently of engineers to flame them but they were castrated by the heavy mortars and put up little resistance. My bunkers were somewhat effective but not enough and were grouped poorly.

I may not be the brightest bulb in the store but I learn quickly. In round two, my us army easily sent the japanese back to the emperor in boxes. I bought several types of heavy firepowered bunkers and was more careful in their positioning. I guessed where paratroopers would land and had well positioned aa. Many of the little grunts never got out of their planes. I carefully targeted the landing craft that held the hoard's armor and tried to destroy them first with the bunkers. It is always easier to destory them at sea as compared the land. I placed mines in paths of landings and used firepower to direct troops into those areas. With some smaller mortars i held them on the beaches and used several 105s and one lone 155 to annihilate the forces in the kill zones. AA was them moved to areas of sweeping fire to clean the beaches. None of the troops were able to withhold the survivors from climbing from the beach, even thought many were rangers. They acted as scouts to expose the many sushi eaters and a large contingent of greyhounds drove them back toward the sea. Any greyhounds left too close to the yellow devils were easily destroyed. My shermans, unlike the stuarts, easily destroyed the small amount of armor that made it off the beach but were suseptible to the heavy jap naval guns and had to be constantly hidden. My honorable opponent put a frenzied attack but I suspect had troops carrying too much saki....I did search for his geisha troops but alas, they were not found....overall a welcome reversal of fortune for one who has not fought well lately....major yogi...
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2006, 11:53 PM,
I've on'y had one expereince playing against a Japanese human opponent (H2H). Unfortunately we had to bag the game due to personal problems on my part last year. He was gracious enough to just let the game go.

My opponent did purchase a horde of armor.. much more than I had expected.. The single company of Shermans backed by a platoon of 57mm AT guns and 2 platoons of Stuarts had quite a mess on their hands for some time.. Since the terrain was close, I purchased mainly USMC rifle squads with Garrands and BAR's.. supported by a few 50cal MG's. DUKW's were my troop transport of choice. The map was not random, but a map that was extracted from one of the Japanese scenarios with the game that took place in the Buna area of New Guinea. Marshlands and water were prevalent alnog the North/NW, and some relatively open areas to the south. A river ran from the marshes to the SW to the south map edge. My opponent staged the armored attack in the south.

Anyway - on of my SBD attacks revealed an horde of Japanese Armor that would have made any Russian commander envious.. so I rounded up my Shermans and hoped for the best..

I was surpised at the performance of the M4's.. in this particular instance they acted the quivalent of Tigers vs T-34/76. I lost a couple to flanking fire.. but by and large each Sherman ran up a number of kills and were almost impervious to Japanese tank fire. The AT guns ended up only needed to pick off damaged tanks that it wasn't worth using a 75mm AP round against. The Stuarts fell easily to 47mm tank fire, so I pulled them out to support the troops where the multiple machine guns were very useful.

In the man-to-man arena.. the USMC Rifle squads seemd to have plenty of fire power to keep IJN/IJA troops at bay..eventually causing enough supression to KIA them. The presence of 60mm Mortars helped hugely to keep the spotted Japanese troops seriously supressed most of the time..

-Greybeard
11-14-2006, 01:02 PM,
My own opinions would follow most of what has been said here and I would sumarise it by saying "Never let the get close enough to fight at close quarters and use all the arty and bunkers you have to kill kill kill"

Heavy MGs well sited will suffice if its an ME battle, tanks, use them but watch out for Jap tanks. Use arty to smash them before they get to you, and then mop up, Jap infantry and Horses (?) are tough but they can be killed

Welcome to a differen way of fighting.
Bis peccare in bello no licet - One cannot blunder twice in war.