• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Are the really Large PZC like M44 playable?
10-10-2006, 08:40 AM,
Are the really Large PZC like M44 playable?
Hi Guys

Are the large PZC Campaign Games like the recently published Minsk 44 really playable as PBEM. How big is M44 vs other large games.

How often have large campaigns like M41, S42, K43, N44, B44 and so on, been played through to completion via PBEM and were they worth it.

I ask this, becuase when ever I start a really large campaign game the turn rate is slow and often one side or the other just gives up as the scenario degenerates to an unbalanced game for one side or the other.

What have other found?

Cheers

Peter777
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2006, 10:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-10-2006, 10:22 AM by Jazman.)
RE: Are the really Large PZC like M44 playable?
10-10-2006, 12:07 PM,
RE:��Are the really Large PZC like M44 playable?
10-10-2006, 02:32 PM,
I'm playing a monster right now commanding the Wehrmacht in F40. I'm in day 2 and the only way to play it; is one division at a time without giving the moves too much thought; just play visually; push 'em forward, try to know what direction you're going and hope for the best without doing anything too stupid. Moving the whole army, 2 army groups actually, takes me about 2 hours. But it's fun and there is a lot of action and as Marquo says you can make plenty of mistakes and still recover. An old adage I say is "Your opponent can out-play you tactically, but if you out-play him strategically, you will win." I don't know if that's always true, but don't worry too much about losing a few units. von ege cheers
10-10-2006, 04:19 PM,
Peter777 Wrote:How often have large campaigns like M41, S42, K43, N44, B44 and so on, been played through to completion via PBEM and were they worth it.

Peter:

Do you own S42? It really is not that big. There are a few operational sectors and because the action focuses on Uranus and the encirclement, I would argue this campaign is very much playable.

The Minsk CG is 129 turns and through extensive in ground and there are a lot of units in the OOB - twice as many as Sicily for instance there is a lot less turns than the Sicily CG has. Size is one thing but it is measured in # of Units, # of Turns, and ground to be covered.

And Minsk is big - slightly more units than S41 Revised CG by Mike Avanzini, but less turns. And I think the S41 Campaign is one of the more played of any.

Glenn
Send this user an email
10-10-2006, 04:35 PM,
Hi Glenn

As it turns out I have just ordered S41 S42, K43 (my first Eastern front games, despite some concerns about S42 movement fatigue), but from the posts on M44 I was concerned that it may be just an unplayable monster despite the AI enhancements.

I was almost tempted to get M44 just to see the new AI enhancements as a good AI could make large game more playable.

So I am interested in what others have experienced.

Cheers

Peter777

10-11-2006, 12:35 AM,
Would say that after playing a number of Campaign Games that it becomes apparent after sometime that one side is gonna lose.

I find it painful when I'm gettin whipped/cut up, and it's better to ask for terms than prolong the agony.
Another point is when your winning your turn rate is fast and when your losing your turn rate is slow.

However this point in the game ( early,mid or late ) is determined by lot's of different factors.

What I love about the campaigns is how the troops morale ,terrain etc effects play, you can read the books but playing these games with locations switched on will give you a better understanding of how and why the real battles played out.

It's only a game but I'm hooked, need my daily fix , keeps me away from the Bars, Bookmakers and other attractions !!!.
10-11-2006, 06:44 AM,
You can always play a multiplayer game to break it down as i did with S43 (i played the Yanks only), but be warned be sure of the staying power of your players before you start.
I have not played a EF CG yet, i have also wondered if it may be to much to handle?