• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Best Bulge '44 Campaign?
10-08-2006, 04:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-08-2006, 04:12 PM by HMCS Rosthern.)
c_Question Mark  Best Bulge '44 Campaign?
This is a question for Bulge '44 aficionados. What is considered to be the best available campaign scenario? The criteria for best scenario would be items such as historical accuracy, balance, etc. When I ask this question, I think of the criticism of some designs to use of fixed units to reflect Allied surprise at the offensive, which results in the gamey tactic of not attacking units so that one can surround them. I know that every one has there own opinion, and that the historical records conflict.
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2006, 01:08 AM,
RE: Best Bulge '44 Campaign?
Hey HMCS Rosthern,

Some nice user made scn's are out there for B44. John Egan has several, and we playtested his Bulge revived up til the half way point. It felt pretty good, just holding on to Bastogne with the 101st, and the 82nd doing its part to hold the line west of St. Vith.

As far as gamey tactics are concerned, you will usually have enough unfixed units, to try and prevent a large scale encirclement, with the exception of the Schnee Eifel, which was what happened anyway.

The B44 campaign game I'm interested in now is Ed's Williams ALT with MacNamara changes. If you are ever interested in starting a match let me know. Cheers. Ted.

BTW where are you in CAN? I'm an east coaster. NS.
10-09-2006, 09:05 AM,
I'd say the John Egan scenarios are the best, but I'm biased, as I did the oobs for them. (Apologies for screwing up the 2nd and 3rd US Armor tank bns,,,caught that too late.)
I considered using Kampfgruppen for the Germans, but as they flexibly changed throughout the battle, I didnt think it best to inflexibly impose them at start.
I considered using recon arty spotters, but decided setup/stockpiling differences were sufficient to show American arty superiority.
10-09-2006, 09:06 AM,
I'd say the John Egan scenarios are the best, but I'm biased, as I did the oobs for them. (Apologies for screwing up the 2nd and 3rd US Armor tank bns,,,caught that too late.)
I considered using Kampfgruppen for the Germans, but as they flexibly changed throughout the battle, I didnt think it best to inflexibly impose them at start.
I considered using recon arty spotters, but decided setup/stockpiling differences were sufficient to show American arty superiority.